"BARROW, a parish in the second division, of the hundred of EDDISBURY, county palatine of CHESTER, 5 miles (E. N. E.) from Chester, comprising the townships of Great Barrow and Little Barrow, and containing 642 inhabitants, of which number, 393 are in the township of Great Barrow. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £19. 6. 5½., and in the patronage of the Marquis of Cholmondeley. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. A school for poor children is endowed with about £6 per annum. A preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers, founded here in the reign of Henry II., vas valued, at the dissolution, at £107. 3. 8." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
"BARROW (LITTLE), a township in the parish of BARROW, hundred of EDDISBURY, county palatine of CHESTER, 5½ miles (N. E. by E.) from Chester, containing 249 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Barrow, also a township and ancient parish in Eddisbury hundred (SJ 4769), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Broomhill, Great Barrow, Hollowmoor Heath, Little Barrow, Long Green, Milton Brook and Stamford Bridge.
- The population was 501 in 1801, 659 in 1851, 727 in 1901, 1065 in 1951, and 943 in 2001.
- Great Boughton (1837-69)
- Chester (1870-1937)
- West Cheshire (1937-74)
- Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
- Cheshire West (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
- Eddisbury (1828-1974)
- Chester (1974-2001)
- Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
- West Cheshire (2012+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Barrow to another place.
"BARROW, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Eddisbury, in the county palatine of Chester, 4 miles to the E. of Chester, its post town. It consists of the townships of Great Barrow and Little Barrow. A preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers was established here in the latter half of the 12th century. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester, of the value of £263, in the gift of Lord H. Cholmondeley. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. There is a small school endowment.
- 1963 April 1 — Gained parts of Christleton (1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961), Guilden Sutton (3 hectares, pop. 0 in 1961) and Mickle Trafford (4 hectares, pop. 0 in 1961), and lost parts to Christleton (1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961), Guilden Sutton (under 1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961) and Mickle Trafford (under 1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961)
You can see the administrative areas in which Barrow has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ475695 (Lat/Lon: 53.220291, -2.787566), Barrow which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Tarvin Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Tarvin Rural District (1894-1936)
- Chester Rural District (1936-74)
- Chester (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)