The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BARROW, a parish in the second division of the hundred of Eddisbury, in the county palatine of Chester, 4 miles to the E. of Chester, its post town. It consists of the townships of Great Barrow and Little Barrow. A preceptory of the Knights Hospitallers was established here in the latter half of the 12th century. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester, of the value of £263, in the gift of Lord H. Cholmondeley. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. There is a small school endowment.