The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"BARTHOMLEY, a parish partly in the hundred of Nantwith, in the county palatine of Chester, and partly in the north division of the hundred of Pirehill, in the county of Stafford, 7 miles to the E. of Nantwich. The Crewe, Stoke, and Uttoxeter section of the North Staffordshire railway passes through it. Alsager, Crewe Green, and Haslington are chapelries, with their several district churches, and Batterley a township of this parish. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Chester, of the value of £824, in the gift of the Trustees of the late Lord Crewe. The church is ancient, and is dedicated to St. Bertoline. It has a Norman porch, and a carved and richly ornamented roof, put up in 1589. It contains a sculptured altar-tomb, with an effigy of Sir Robert Fulshurst, who died in 1389, and several other monuments. The charitable endowments amount to £51, including £10, the revenue of a small school founded in 1676. The principal seat is Barthomley Hall, situated on Alsager Heath."
"ALSAGER, a chapelry in the parish of Barthomley, hundred of Nantwich, in the county palatine of Chester, 4 miles to the S.E. of Sandbach. It is situated near the Trunk canal and the river Wenlock, and is a station on the North Staffordshire railway. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £100, in the patronage of the landowners. The chapel was erected and endowed by Mary, Judith, and Margaret Alsager. There is a free school for boys and girls, which was also founded and endowed by them. There is a chapel belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists."
"CREWE, a township in the parish of Barthomley, hundred of Nantwich, in the county of Chester, 5½ miles N.E. of Nantwich, and 10½ S.W. of Congleton. It is a central station on the London and North-Western railway, being the point where the Manchester and Chester lines unite, and, on this account, has recently become a place of importance. Here are the extensive locomotive and coach building works of the North-Western Company, which keep above 2,000 men regularly employed. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £150, in the patronage of Lord Crewe. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is a beautiful structure in the Gothic style, composed of brick and stone. There is a free school. Crewe Hall, the seat of Lord Crewe, is a beautiful specimen of the Grecian style of architecture."
"HASLINGTON, a township and parochial chapelry in the parish of Barthomley, hundred of Nantwich, county Chester, 3 miles S.W. of Sandbach, and 6 N.E. of Nantwich. The North Staffordshire railway passes in the vicinity. The soil is sandy, and the subsoil sand and clay. The chief crops are wheat, potatoes, and oats. The village is considerable. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Chester, value £100. The church, dedicated to St. Matthew, is a stone building with a cupola containing one bell. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, Independents, and Baptists have chapels, and there is a National school for boys and girls. Haslington Hall is now a farmhouse. Sir H. D. Broughton, Bart., is lord of the manor and chief landowner."