"BROMBORROW, a parish (formerly a market town) partly in the lower, but chiefly in the upper, division of the hundred of WIRRALL, county palatine of CHESTER, 5¼ miles (N. E.) from Great Neston, containing, with the township of Brimstage, 446 inhabitants. The living is a donative belonging to the Dean and Chapter of Chester, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £1200 royal bounty: the lord of the manor is impropriator of the great tithes. The church, dedicated to St. Barnabas, is a small edifice, with a low wooden tower containing some specimens of early Norman architecture. The learned editor of the Saxon Chronicle has enumerated this among the places which, from the similarity of name, may claim to be the scene of the decisive action fought at Brunanburgh, in 937, between the Saxons under Athelstan, and the Danes under Anlaf and Constantine, in which the latter were defeated, and pursued for two days with great slaughter. A monastery was founded at this place, then called Brimesburgh, by Ethelfleda, the celebrated Countess of Mercia, about 912, which was demolished previously to the Conquest, subsequently to which period the manor was given by Ranulph de Gernons, Earl of Chester, to the monks of the abbey of St. Werburgh, to whom Prince Edward, when Earl of Chester, granted a license to hold a market here weekly on Monday, and a fair annually on the eve, festival, and morrow of St. Barnabas; but these have long been discontinued. The courts belonging to the abbey were occasionally held in the manor-house, which was one of those directed by the charter of Earl Ranulph to be kept in a state of security and convenience for that purpose. The parish is bounded on the east by the river Mersey." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
Bromborough, also a township in Bromborough ancient parish, Wirral hundred (SJ 3481), became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1922 and incorporated into Bebington & Bromborough.
- The population was 277 in 1801, 412 in 1851, and 1891 in 1901.
For the period after 1922, see Bebington & Bromborough.
|Christ the King, Bromborough, Roman Catholic|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bromborough to another place.
"BROMBORROW, (or Bromborough), a parish in the higher and lower divisions of the hundred of Wirrall, in the county palatine of Chester, 4 miles to the S. of Birkenhead. It is a station on the Birkenhead railway. The parish lies on the W. bank of the river Mersey, and contains the township of Brimstage. It Was the site of a small monastery, founded early in the 10th century by Ethelfleda, Countess of Mercia, which flourish but for a short time, being destroyed before the Norman Conquest. The manor afterwards formed part of the demesne of St. Werburgh's Abbey, Chester. The monks obtained the grant of a Weekly market and an annual fair, which have long ceased to be held. The living is a curacy in the diocese of Chester, Worth £51, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, a small building With a Wooden tower, has some portions in the Norman style, and is dedicated to St. Barnabas. There are charitable endowments which produce £5 a year. Bromborough Hall is situated in a pleasant park on the banks of the Mersey, of which it commands a good view.
"BRIMSTAGE, a township in the parish of Bromborrow, hundred of Wirrall, in the county palatine of Chester, 4 miles to the N.E. of Great Neston."
Places associated with Bromborough ancient parish with separate pages
- Brimstage; Bromborough
You can see the administrative areas in which Bromborough has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ324824 (Lat/Lon: 53.334405, -3.017292), Bromborough which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Bromborough Local Board (1873-75)
- Bromborough Urban Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Bromborough Urban District (1894-1922)