Burton (near Neston)
"BURTON, a parish (formerly a market-town) in the higher division of the hundred of WIRRALL, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Burton and Puddington, and containing 481 inhabitants, of which number, 326 are in the township of Burton, 2½ miles (S. E. by S.) from Great Neston. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of R. Congreve, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, was rebuilt in 1721. At Denwall, in this parish, there is a colliery, opened about 1750, that extends a mile and three quarters from high water mark under the river Dee: the coal is chiefly sent to Ireland. At the same place was anciently an hospital, to which Alexander de Savensby, Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry (to which see the manor belonged) appropriated, in 1238, the tithes of Burton. Henry VII., about 1494, gave this hospital, together with all its revenue, including the rectory of this parish, to the hospital of St. John the Baptist, founded at Lichfield, by Bishop Smith, to which the estate still belongs. A free school for poor children of the township of Burton, and for four of that of Puddington, was founded in 1724, by Dr. Wilson, the pious and benevolent bishop of Sodor and Man, who was born here, on the 20th of December, 1663: he gave £400 for erecting and endowing it, and his son, Dr. Thomas Wilson, rector of St. Stephen's Walbrook, and a prebendary in the collegiate church of Westminster, added £200. The market, granted in 1298, to Bishop Langton, was held on Thursday, together with a fair for three days at the festival of St. James." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Burton, also a township in Burton ancient parish, Wirral hundred (SJ 3174), became a civil parish in 1866.
- Since 1974 it has been an unparished area.
- The population was 288 in 1801, 291 in 1851, 222 in 1901, 667 in 1951, and 715 in 2001.
- Wirral (1837-1974)
- Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
- Cheshire West (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
- Wirral (1828-1974)
- Ellesmere Port (1974-2001)
- Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
- West Cheshire (2012+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Burton (near Neston) to another place.
"BURTON, a parish in the higher division of the hundred of Wirrall, in the county palatine of Chester, 9 miles to the N.W. of Chester, its post town. It is situated on the N.E. side of the estuary of the river Dec, and contains the townships of Puddington and Burton. The Birkenhead railway passes about 3 miles to the N.E, of the Burton was formerly a market town, under a grant obtained by Bishop Langton about the end of the 13th century. A hospital was at an earlier date founded at Denwall, and endowed by Alexander do Savensby, Bishop of Lichfield and Coventry. The estate and endowments were given by Henry VII. to the Hospital of St. John the Baptist, at Lichfield. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, worth £54, in the patronage of W.W. Congreve, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas. Here is a free school, founded and endowed by Bishop Wilson in 1724, the income of which is about £35 per annum. Burton was the birthplace (1663) of Bishop Wilson. Burton Hall is the principal seat."
"PUDDINGTON, a township in the parish of Burton, higher division of the hundred of Wirrall, county Chester, 7½ miles N. W. of Chester, and 3 S. of Sutton railway station. The village, which is of small extent, is situated on the river Dee, and is wholly agricultural. In the neighbourhood is an ancient moated mansion, which has been converted into a farm dwelling. There is a place of worship for the Roman Catholics. Puddington Hall is situated in the midst of well-wooded grounds."
You can see the administrative areas in which Burton (near Neston) has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ326741 (Lat/Lon: 53.259484, -3.012485), Burton (near Neston) which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Wirral Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Wirral Rural District (1894-1933)
- Neston Urban District (1933-74)
- Ellesmere Port (1974-76)
- Ellesmere Port & Neston (1976-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)