The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868
"CHEADLE, a parish in the hundred of Macclesfield, in the county of Chester, 2 miles S.W. of Stockport, and 8 from Manchester. It is a station on the Manchester, Crewe, and Chester, and the Manchester, Buxton, and Macclesfield sections of the London and North-Western railway. The parish is situated on the river Mersey, and includes the townships of Cheadle-Bulkeley, Cheadle-Moseley, and Handforth-cum-Boden. The inhabitants are principally employed in agriculture, or in the print-works, and in silk-weaving at home; but those who live within that part of the parish comprised within the borough of, Stockport are chiefly engaged in the manufactures of cotton and silk. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester, value £635, in the patronage of Sir H. D. Broughton, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is in the later perpendicular style. In 1858, a new church, called St. Matthew, Stockport, was built at Edgeley, for the Peel district, which comprises the hamlets of Edgeley and Brinksway, within this parish, but is included in the borough of Stockport. There is also a chapel of ease to the mother church of Cheadle, at Handforth, built in 1837, and another chapel of ease at Cheadle-Hulme, built in 1863. The Independents, Baptists, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists have places of worship, and there is a Roman Catholic chapel at Edgeley. There are National schools in the village of Cheadle and at Handforth, and also a small endowed school at Cheadle-Hulme. In the vicinity are many villa residences and several mansions."
"BOSDEN, a joint township with Handforth, in the parish of Cheadle, hundred of Macclesfield, in the county palatine of Chester, 3 miles to the S. of Stockport. The London and North-Western railway passes through the township, with stations at Cheadle and Handforth."
"BULKELEY CHEADLE, (and Moseley Cheadle) townships in the parish of Cheadle, in the hundred of Macclesfield, and borough of Stockport, in the county of Chester. See Cheadle.
"HANDFORD-CUM-BOSDEN, a township in the parish of Cheadle, hundred of Macclesfield, county Chester, 10½ miles from Manchester, 5½ S.W. of Stockport, and 20½ from Birmingham. It is a station on the Manchester and Birmingham railway. Calico prints are extensively manufactured in the village, which is very considerable. There is a chapel-of-ease, also a National school. Handford Hall is now converted into a farmhouse."