Hide

Davenham

hide
Hide

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"DAVENHAM, a parish in the hundred of Northwich, in the county of Chester, 2½ miles S.W. of Northwich, and 5 N.E. of Middlewich. It is situated on the river Daven or Dane, near the Grand Junction canal, and comprises the townships of Bostock, Davenham, Eaton, Leftwich, Moulton, Newhall, Rudheath, Shipbrook, Shurlach, Stanthorne, Wharton, and Whatcroft. The name of this parish is derived from its position on the river Daven. Rudheath was the scene of an action between the royalists and parliamentarians in 1643. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Chester, value £727, in the patronage of James F. France, Esq. There is a district church at Wharton, the living of which is a perpetual curacy* in the patronage of the rector; and at Dane Bridge, also, a perpetual curacy, value £160, in the patronage of the crown and bishop alternately. The church is dedicated to St. Wilifred. There are two schools partly supported by endowments. The charities amount to £87 per annum. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. Bostock Hall is the seat of J. F. France, Esq. A fair is held on the 8th May."

"BOSTOCK, a township in the parish of Davenham, hundred of Northwich, in the county palatine of Chester, 2 miles to the N.W. of Middlewick. The Grand Junction rail way passes near it. Bostock Hall is the principal mansion."

"DAVENHAM, a township in the parish of Davenham, hundred of Northwich, in the county of Chester, 2 miles from Northwich, and 4 from Middlewich. It is situated on the river Daven or Dane."

"EATON, a township in the parish of Davenham, hundred of Northwich, county palatine Chester, 2 miles S.W. of Northwich. It is situated on the Grand Junction railway. Lord Delamere is lord of the manor."

"LEFTWICH, a township in the parish of Davenham, hundred of Northwich, county Chester, 2 miles S. of Northwich. It contains the Northwich union poorhouse. The village, which is considerable, is situated near the river Dane and the Grand Junction railway."

"MOULTON, a township in the parish of Davenham, hundred of Northwich, county Chester, 2½ miles S.E. of Northwich. It is a small agricultural village, situated on the Grand Junction railway and the river Weaver. There are extensive salt-works belonging to the Newbridge Salt Company. Tho Independents and Primitive Methodists have each a place of worship. Moulton Hall, formerly the seat of the Bostock family, is the principal residence. John Hoskin Harper, Esq., J.P., is lord of the manor."

"NEWHALL, a township in the parish of Davenham, hundred of Northwich, county Chester, 2½ miles from Davenham, and 3½ S.E. of Northwich. It is situated near the Grand Trunk canal."

"RUDHEATH, a township and lordship in the parish of Davenham, hundred of Northwich, county Chester, 2 miles S. E. of Northwich, its post town, and 4 N.E. of Middlewich. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near the Grand Trunk canal. Here the battle was fought between the royal and parliamentary forces in 1643. The chapel-of-ease, situated at a short distance from Broken Cross, was built in 1835. There is a National school for both sexes. A great portion of the land is devoted to pasture. T. H. Marshall, Esq., is lord of the manor."

"SHIPBROOK, a township in the parish of Davenham, hundred of Northwich, county Chester, 3 miles S.E. of Northwich, its post town, and 2½ from the Hartford railway station. The township, which consists of a few scattered farms, is situated on the Grand Trunk canal, and near the river Dane. The Cheshire hounds meet in this place. The land is chiefly in pasture. J. H. Harper, Esq., is lord of the manor."

"STANTHORNE, a township in the parish of Davenham, hundred of -Northwich, county Chester, 2 miles N. of Middlewich. The village is small, and situated near the river Dane. The land is chiefly in pasture. The principal residence is Stanthorne Hall, standing within a short distance of the site of the old manor-house."

"UPPER SHURLACH, (and Lower Shurlach) a township in the parish of Davenham, hundred of Northwich, county Chester, 1½ mile S.E. of Northwich, its post town. It is situated on the Grand Trunk canal and the river Dane. The land is chiefly in pasture. The Wesleyan Association Methodists have a place of worship. J. H. Harper, Esq., is lord of the manor.

"WHARTON, a township in the parish of Davenham, hundred of Northwick, county Chester, 2 miles N.W. of Middlewich. The village is situated near the river Weaver, and has salt works. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £150, in the patronage of the Rector of Davenham."

"WHATCROFT, a township in the parish of Davenham, county Chester, 3 miles N.W. of Middlewich, on the Grand Trunk canal."