"DODDLESTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Doddleston and Lower Kinnerton, and containing 351 inhabitants, of which number, 266 are in the township of Doddleston, 5 miles (S. W.) from Chester. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £7. 0. 2½, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church, dedicated :to St. Mary, contains the remains of Thomas Egerton, Baron Ellesmere, Viscount Brackley, Lord Keeper of the Great Seal to James I., and ancestor of the Earls of Bridgewater, who occasionally resided here; he died in London in 1617. A school is supported by charitable contributions. During the siege of Chester, in 1645, the old mansion-house was fortified and garrisoned by the parliamentary general, Sir William Brereton, who here fixed his head-quarters." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Dodleston, also a township in Dodleston ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 3661), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Balderton, Gorstella (part), and Rough Hill (from 2015).
- The population was 185 in 1801, 258 in 1851, 307 in 1901, 267 in 1951, and 777 in 2001.
- Great Boughton (1837-69)
- Chester (1870-1937)
- West Cheshire (1937-74)
- Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
- Cheshire West (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
- Broxton (1828-71)
- Chester Castle (1871-1974)
- Chester (1974-2001)
- Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
- West Cheshire (2012+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Dodleston to another place.
"DODDLESTON, a parish partly in the county of Flint, North Wales, but chiefly in the lower division of the hundred of Broxton, and partly in that of Maylor, in the county palatine of Chester, 5 miles S.W. of Chester, its post town. It contains the townships of Higher and Lower Kinnerton, Doddleston, and Bodidris. The Shrewsbury and Chester branch of the Great Western railway passes through the village before entering Flint. At Balderton Bridge, in this parish, Hugh Cyvelioc, Earl of Chester, defeated the Welsh with great slaughter, and raised a rampart of the heads of the slain. Doddleston Castle, the residence of the Boydells, formerly stood here. The Hall, occupied by the Manley family, was afterwards built upon its site, and during the civil wars was made the head-quarters of the army besieging Chester. A farmhouse now stands on the spot. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Chester, value £593, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient compact structure with tower, and contains a monument of Baron Ellesmere, Lord Keeper of the Great Seal in the reign of James I. The charities produce about £6 per annum. The Primitive Methodists have a chapel. The Marquis of Westminster is lord of the manor."
"GORSLETTA, a hamlet in the parish of Doddleston, hundred of Broxton, county palatine Chester, 1 mile N. of Doddleston, and 4 miles S.W. of Chester."
"LOWER KINNERTON, a township in the parish of Doddleston, hundred of Broxton, county Chester, 1½ mile from Doddington, and 5 miles S.W. of Chester. A small stream which flows past Kinnerton Bridge Hall divides England and Wales. There is a free school.
You can see the administrative areas in which Dodleston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ341618 (Lat/Lon: 53.149444, -2.986136), Dodleston which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Chester Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Chester Rural District (1894-1974)
- Chester (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)