Hide

Extraparochial

hide
Hide

1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland

[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013

"BOUGHTON SPITTLE, (or Spital), an extra-parochial liberty in the city of Chester, locally in the parish of Chester St. John, and hundred of Broxton, in the county palatine of Chester.

"CHESTER CASTLE, an extra-parochial place, in the city and county of Chester."

"CLAVERTON, an extra-parochial hamlet in the city of Chester, in the county of Chester."

"GREAT STANNEY, an extra parochial place in the hundred of Higher Wirrall, county Chester, 5 miles N. of Chester. It is situated on the Mersey and Chester canal, and formerly belonged to Stanlow Priory.

"KINGSMARSH, an extra parochial place in the higher division of the hundred of Broxton, county Chester, 6 miles N. W. of Malpas. It is situated on the river Dee."

"MIDDLETON-GRANGE, an extra parochial place adjoining the chapelry of Aston-by-Sutton, county Chester, 3 miles E. of Frodsham. It is situated on the river Weaver."

"NO-MANS-LAND, an extra parochial place in the hundred of Macclesfield, county Chester."

"PRIORS-HAY, an extra parochial place in the 2nd division of Eddisbury hundred, county Chester, 4 miles E. of Chester."

"SHOT WICK-PARK, an extra parochial place in the higher division of the hundred of Wirrall, county Chester, 3 miles N. of Sutton railway station, and 4 N.W. of Chester. There are slight traces of a castle mentioned by Leland, and formerly belonging to the crown, in which Henry II. lodged on his way to Ireland in 1156, and Edward I. in the years 1260 (when prince) and 1278."

"SPITTLE-BOUGHTON, an extra parochial place, in the city and county of Chester."

"STANLOW, an extra parochial place in the higher division of Wirrall hundred, county Chester, 4 miles E. of Sutton, and 5 W. of Frodsham. It is situated on the river Mersey, and consists of a few cottages. In 1178 a Cistercian abbey was founded by J. Lacy at Stanlow Point, which was made a cell to Whalley in 1296, and of which some traces still remain."

"THREAPWOOD, an extra parochial place in the hundreds of Maylor and Broxton, counties Flint and Chester, 3 miles S.W. of Malpas. Wrexham is its post town. It is situated near the river Dee. There are brick and tile kilns. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £87, in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester."

"WILLINGTON, an extra parochial place in the second division of Eddisbury hundred, county Chester, 3 miles N.W. of Tarporley. It was anciently part of the demesne of Whalley Abbey."