1868 - The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland
"GAWSWORTH, a parish in the hundred of Macclesfield, county palatine Chester, 3 miles S.W. of Macclesfield, its post town, and 6 N. of Congleton. The North Staffordshire railway and the Macclesfield section of the Grand Trunk canal pass through the parish. The scenery in this neighbourhood is rich and varied, comprising a large extent of woodland and plantation, with several small lakes. Many of the houses are old, and built of wood. This place is mentioned in Domesday Book as forming part of the demesne of Earl Ranulph, who gave it to Hugh Bigod, Earl of Chester, for a caparisoned horse. A court-leet and a court-baron are held at Martinmas. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Chester, value £734. The church is an ancient edifice, with a tower surmounted with pinnacles, and dedicated to St. James. It contains monuments of the Fitton family. There is a National school with a small endowment. The ancient manor-house, formerly the residence of Lord Mohun, is now a farmhouse. The Earl of Harrington is lord of the manor."