"LATCHFORD, a chapelry in the parish of GRAPPENHALL, hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, 1½ mile (S.E.) from Warrington, containing 1252 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £400 private benefaction, £1000 royal bounty, and £ 1400 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Rector of Grappenhall. The church, dedicated to St. James, has lately received an addition of seven hundred and eighty-seven sittings, of which four hundred are free, the Incorporated Society for the enlargement of churches and chapels having contributed £400 towards defraying the expense. The Duke of Bridgewater's, the Mersey, and the Irwell, canals pass through this parish. A cotton manufactory has been recently established here. Latchford had anciently two weekly markets and two annual fairs, granted in the fourteenth century." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Latchford was a township in Grappenhall ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 6187), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was transferred from Cheshire to Lancashire in 1894, and was abolished in 1898 to become part of Warrington (Lancashire).
- It includes the hamlet of Wilderspool.
- The population was 754 in 1801, 2542 in 1851, and 6528 in 1891.
For the period after 1898, see Warrington (Lancashire).
|Christ Church, Latchford, Church of England|
|St Hilda Mission, Latchford, Church of England|
|St James the Great, Latchford, Church of England|
|St James, Latchford, Church of England|
|Knutsford Road, Latchford, Methodist (Primitive)|
|Knutsford Road/Thelwall Lane, Latchford, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|St John, Latchford, Presbyterian|
|Knutsford Road, Latchford, Roman Catholic|
|Our Lady of the Assumption, Latchford, Roman Catholic|
|St Augustine and the English Martyrs, Latchford, Roman Catholic|
|Latchford, Society of Friends (Quaker)|
- Bucklow (1828-39)
- Daresbury (wholly, 1839-47 ; partly, 1847-94) *
- Warrington (Borough) (partly, 1847-94 ; wholly, 1894-98) *
* The part in Daresbury (1847-94) became the civil parish of Latchford Without in 1894.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Latchford to another place.
- 1884 March 25 — Gained detached parts Nos. 1 and 2 from Thelwall (106 acres, pop. 0 in 1891, including Westy Barn Field and Old Warps), and part of Warrington, Lancashire (pop. 2 in 1891)
- 1894 — Lost the part outside Warrington County Borough to Latchford Without (pop. 478 in 1901), and transferred from Cheshire to Lancashire.
- 1896 November 9 — Gained parts of Appleton (pop. 467 in 1901), Latchford Without (pop. 183 in 1901) and Walton Inferior (pop. 0 in 1901)
- 1898 September 30 — Abolished and incorporated into Warrington (Lancashire) (pop. 7985 in 1901)
You can see the administrative areas in which Latchford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ617873 (Lat/Lon: 53.381151, -2.577235), Latchford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Warrington Municipal Borough (partly, 1847-89)
- Warrington County Borough (partly, 1889-94 ; wholly 1894-98)
- Warrington Urban Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94)
- Warrington Rural Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94) *
* The part in Warrington Rural Sanitary District became the civil parish of Latchford Without in 1894.