Newton (near Hyde)
"NEWTON, a township in the parish of MOTTRAM in LONGDEN-DALE, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 6¼ miles (N. E. by E.) from Stockport, containing 2159 inhabitants, about two-thirds of whom are employed in the manufacture of cotton and hats, and in the printing of calico. The Peak Forest, canal passes through the township, which abounds with stone of a good quality. There are also salt, coal, and iron works; and for smelting the ore of the latter, a large furnace has lately been erected." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Newton was a township in Mottram-in-Longdendale parish, Macclesfied hundred (SJ 9595), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- In 1923 the civil parish was abolished to become part of Hyde.
- It included the hamlets of Flowery Field (part) and Newton Green
- The population was 1005 in 1801, 7481 in 1851, and 7407 in 1901.
For the period after 1923, see Hyde.
- 1923 October 1 — Abolished and incorporated into Hyde (869 acres, pop. 7715 in 1921)