Hide

Over

hide
Hide

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"OVER, a parish, market town, and nominal borough in the first division of the hundred of Eddisbury, county Chester, 5 miles S. of Northwich, and 16 E. of Chester. It is situated on the road from Middlewich to Chester, near the Winsford bridge over the river Weever, which separates this parish on the E. from that of Davenham, and is navigable for barges. The parish includes, besides the town of its own name, the chapelries of Low Oulton and Wettenhall. The town, called in ancient records "the borough," was chartered by Edward I., who granted to it the privilege of a market, held on Wednesday, which, having fallen into disuse, was restored in 1840. It consists chiefly of one long and irregularly-built street, in which are remains of several crosses. It has been governed from time immemorial by a mayor and jury, who are chosen at the court leet and baron of the lord of the manor, held in October. It has long been celebrated for its salt-works. In 1861 the population of the township was 3,774, and of the parish 3,454. The appropriation belongs to the Bishop of Chester, and the glebe consists of 24 acres. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Chester, value £200, having been augmented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Chad, was rebuilt in the reign of Henry VIII., and contains some stained glass windows, and an altar-tomb supporting an effigy in brass to the memory of Hugh Starkey, founder of the church, and gentleman-usher to Henry VIII. The Independents have a place of worship. There is a free grammar school, founded in 1689 by Mrs. E. Venables, and endowed with land producing about £60 per annum. The school was removed to its present site in 1803, and is conducted on the National system. Fairs are held on the 15th May and 25th September."

"LOW OULTON, a township in the parish of Over, hundred of Eddisbury, county Chester, 4 miles N.E. of Tarporley. The village, which is of small extent, is situated near Delamere Forest, and is wholly agricultural. Darley Hall, formerly the seat of the Starkie family, has been pulled down, and a farmhouse erected on its site.

"WETTENHALL, a chapelry in the parish of Over, first division of Eddisbury- hundred, county Chester, 5 miles S.E. of Tarporley, and 6 N.W. of Nantwich, on a branch of the river Weaver."

"WOODSIDE, a hamlet in the township of Wettenhall and parish of Over, county Chester, 5 miles S.E. of Tarporley, and 4 S.W. of Winsford, its post town."