"TIMPERLEY, a township in the parish of BOWDON, hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, 1¾ mile (N.E.by E.) from Altrincham, containing 683 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Timperley was a township in Bowdon ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 7787), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1936 to become parts of Altrincham, Hale (near Altrincham) and Sale.
- The population was 588 in 1801, 1008 in 1851, and 3215 in 1901.
|Christ Church, Timperley, Church of England|
|Holy Cross, Timperley, Church of England|
|St Andrew, Timperley, Church of England|
|St Catherine, Timperley, Church of England|
|Heyes Lane, Timperley, Congregationalist|
|Woodlands Parkway, Timperley, United Reformed Church|
|Grove Lane/Stockport Road, Timperley, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|Heyes Lane, Timperley, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|Stockport Road, Timperley, Methodist|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Timperley to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Timperley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ786891 (Lat/Lon: 53.398289, -2.323303), Timperley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Altrincham Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Altrincham Rural District (1894-95)
- Bucklow Rural District (1895-1936)