Hide

Acton Grange

hide
Hide

"ACTON-GRANGE, a township in the parish of RUNCORN, hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, 2¾ miles (S. W. by S.) from Warrington, containing 148 inhabitants. The Mersey and Irwell canal, and the Duke of Bridgewater's canal, pass through the parish, its northern boundary being formed by the navigable river Mersey." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie

Hide
  • Acton Grange was a township in Daresbury chapelry of Runcorn ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 5884), which became a civil parish in 1866.

  • The civil parish was abolished in 1936 to become part of Walton.

  • The population was 139 in 1801, 172 in 1851, and 145 in 1901.

For the period after 1936, see Walton.

Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Runcorn (1837-1936)
topup

Court Records

  • Bucklow (1828-39)
  • Daresbury (1839-1936)
topup

Historical Geography

  • 1933 April 1 — Lost the part north of the Manchester Ship Canal to Penketh, Lancashire (371 acres, pop. 12 in 1931)
  • 1936 April 1 — Abolished and incorporated into Walton (600 acres, pop. 100 in 1931)
topup

Politics & Government

  • Runcorn Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Runcorn Rural District (1894-1936)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Runcorn (1836-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • North Cheshire (1832-67)
  • Mid Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Knutsford (1885-1936)