An ancient parish church, originally serving the townships of Adlington (including Adlington: Chapel), Birtles, Bollington, Bosley, Butley, Capesthorne, Chelford, Fallibroome, Henbury, Hurdsfield, Kettleshulme, Lower Withington, Lyme Handley, Macclesfield, Macclesfield Forest, Marton, Mottram St. Andrew, Newton, North Rode, Old Withington, Pott Shrigley, Poynton, Prestbury, Rainow, Siddington, Sutton, Tytherington, Upton, Wildboarclough, Wincle, Woodford and Worth.
The district was affected by the following boundary changes:
- 1728 — reduced when the township of Marton was transferred to Marton: St. James & St. Paul.
- 1835 October 2 — reduced when the townships of Hurdsfield, Kettleshulme and Macclesfield were transferred to Macclesfield: St. Michael & All Angels.
- 1835 October 2 — reduced when the township of Sutton was transferred to Sutton: St. George.
- 1842 May 10 — reduced when the township of Bollington was transferred to Bollington: St. John the Baptist.
- 1845 — reduced when the township of Henbury was transferred to Henbury: St. Thomas.
- 1846 — reduced when the township of North Rode was transferred to North Rode: St. Michael.
- 1846 April 6 — reduced when the townships of Capesthorne and Siddington were transferred to the combined district of Capesthorne: Holy Trinity and Siddington: All Saints.
- 1860 October 30 — reduced when parts of the townships of Poynton and Worth were transferred to High Lane: St. Thomas.
- 1863 July 28 — reduced when part of the township of Rainow was transferred to Rainow: Holy Trinity.
- 1864 March 4 — reduced when the township of Kettleshulme and part of the township of Rainow was transferred to Saltersford: St. John the Baptist.
- 1869 August 10 — reduced when the township of Wincle was transferred to Wincle: St. Michael.
- 1871 August 22 — reduced when the remainder of the townships of Poynton and Worth were transferred to Poynton: St. George.
- 1873 January 17 — reduced when the township of Woodford was transferred to Woodford: Christ Church.
- 1880 April 9 — reduced when the townships of Chelford and Old Withington were transfererd to Chelford: St. John the Evangelist.
- 1880 May 14 — reduced when the township of Pott Shrigley was transferred to Pott Shrigley: St. Christopher.
- 1883 February 16 — reduced when the township of Bosley was transferred to Bosley: St. Mary the Virgin.
- 1886 January 22 — reduced when the following area was transferred to Hurdsfield: Holy Trinity: "All that contiguous portion of the parish of Prestbury in the county and diocese aforesaid wherein the present incumbent of such parish now possesses the exclusive cure of souls which is bounded upon the west upon the south-west and upon the north-west by an imaginary line
commencing at the point in the middle of the River Bollin (distant about seventy links to the north-east of the northern side of Hibel-road Bridge), where the boundaries of the said parish
of Prestbury of the new parish of Saint Paul Macclesfield in the county and diocese aforesaid and of the new parish of (Saint Michael) Macclesfield in the same county and diocese, al! meet, and extending thence first northward and then north-westward along the middle of the said River Bollin for a distance of 31 chains or thereabouts to its junction with the stream called or known as Shoresclough Brook and extending thence north-eastward along the middle of the last-named stream for a distance of one chain and three-quarters or thereabouts to the boundary which divides the said parish of Prestbury from the new parish of the Holy Trinity, Hurdsfield aforesaid all which said hereinbefore described portion of the parish of Prestbury aforesaid is bounded upon the remaining sides other than upon the west the south-west and the north-west as aforesaid that is to say upon the north-east and upon the south-east by the new parish of the Holy Trinity, Hurdsfield aforesaid and upon the south by the new parish of Saint Paul Macclesfield aforesaid".
- 1890 August 19 — reduced when the township of Birtles was transferred to Birtles: St. Catherine.
- 1915 November 30 — reduced when the township of Lower Withington was transferred to Chelford: St. John the Evangelist.
- 1963 April 11 — boundary change with Macclesfield: St. John the Evangelist (details not available)
- 1968 November 22 — (details not available)
- 1975 October 22 — reduced when part of the civil parish of Prestbury was transferred to Upton Priory: Church of the Resurrection.
C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts
||C 1569-1990 ; M 1560-1959 ; B 1560-1978 — Cheshire Record Office (P 287)
C from 1990 ; M from 1959 ; B from 1978 — Church
||C 1560-1990 ; M 1560-1969 ; B 1560-1978 — Cheshire Record Office ; Family History Society of Cheshire ; Macclesfield Library
C 1560-1854 ; M 1560-1851 ; B 1560-1858 — Manchester Archives & Local Studies
CMB 1560-1747 — Stockport Heritage Library
||1586, 1596, 1600, 1608, 1610, 1612, 1615, 1617, 1619-37, 1639-41, 1663-84, 1688-91, 1693-1744, 1747-1840, 1855-58 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office
|Copies and Indexes
||CMB 1560-1636 — published in: The Register Book of Christenings, Weddings and Burials within the Parish of Prestbury (Lancs & Cheshire Record Society, vol. 5, 1881)
M 1560-1636 (index by J. Croston) — Cheshire Record Office
M 1560-1837 — North & East Cheshire Marriage Index - may be viewable at subscription sites such as ancestry or findmypast
M 1626-1812 — Boyd's Marriage Index - may be viewable on subscription sites such as ancestry and findmypast
M 1637-1789 — published in in Cheshire Parish Registers: Marriages, vols. 2-4 (Phillimore, 1910-12)
M 1637-1837 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1837-2008 — Cheshire BMD (CE:1074)
||Published by Macclesfield Ferrets/Graveyard Press, 1994
||C 1757-1812 — includes entries at Adlington: Chapel.