- Alderley Edge is a civil parish (SJ 8478) created in 1894 from the urban part of Chorley (near Wilmslow).
- It includes the hamlets of Belmont, Elm Grove and The Ryleys.
- The population of Alderley Edge was 2223 in 1901, 3689 in 1951, and 4409 in 2001.
For the period before 1894, see Chorley (near Wilmslow).
- Chorley, St. Philip (Church of England). A district church for part of Alderley Edge from 1894.
- Lindow: St. John the Evangelist (Church of England). A district church for part of Aldelrey Edge from 1894.
- Alderley Edge: St. Pius X (Roman Catholic). Built in 1946.
- Alderley Edge, Baptist Chapel. Brook Lane. Founded in 1890.
- Alderley Edge, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan). Built in 1863. Registers of baptisms 1863-1979 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
See also Chorley.
|St Catherine, Birtles, Church of England|
|St John the Evangelist, Lindow, Church of England|
|St Philip, Alderley Edge, Church of England|
|Ryleys Lane, Alderley Edge, Cemetery|
|St Pius X, Alderley Edge, Roman Catholic|
- Macclesfield (wholly, 1894-1936 ; partly 1936-37) *
- Bucklow (partly, 1936-37 ; wholly, 1937-74) *
- Macclesfield (1974-98)
- Cheshire East (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
* The area of the former civil parish of Bollinfee, which became part of Alderley Edge in 1936, remained in Bucklow registration district until 1937.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from ALDERLEY EDGE to another place.
- 1894 —Created from the part of Chorley (near Wilmslow) in Chorley Urban Sanitary District (pop. 2214 in 1901)
- 1895 September 30 — Gained part of Chorley (near Wilmslow) (pop. 9 in 1901)
- 1910 October 1 — Gained part of Nether Alderley (pop. 81 in 1911)
- 1936 April 1 — Gained parts of Bollinfee (112 acres, pop. 746 in 1931), Chorley (near Wilmslow) (2 acres, pop. 25 in 1931), and Wilmslow (119 acres, pop. 109 in 1931)
- 1954 April 1 — Gained part of Wilmslow (3 acres, pop. 20 in 1951)
- 1981 April 4 — Gained part of the unparished area of Wilmslow
You can see the administrative areas in which ALDERLEY EDGE has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ843785 (Lat/Lon: 53.303212, -2.237051), ALDERLEY EDGE which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Alderley Edge Urban District (1894-1974)
- Macclesfield (1974-2009)
- Cheshire East (2009+)