"ALDFORD, a parish comprising the townships of Aldford and Churton, in the higher division, and the chapelry of Churton Heath, or Bruera, and the townships of Great Boughton, Buerton, and Edgerley, in the lower division, of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, and containing 1684 inhabitants, of which number, 491 are in the township of Aldford, 5½ miles (S. by E.) from Chester. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £16. 17. 8½., and in the patronage of Earl Grosvenor. The church is dedicated to St. John the Baptist. This place derives its name from an old ford on the river Dee, which bounds it on the west, and is crossed by a good bridge: it had anciently a market and a fair. A castle was erected in the reign of Henry II., the earthworks of which only remain, nearly adjoining the church: during the siege of Chester, a garrison was placed here by Sir W. Brereton. Courts leet and baron are held for the manor, and are attended by the freeholders of Thornton and Alton, who have distinct juries. Here is a free grammar school, with an endowment of £200 per annum; and a school for boys and girls is supported by contributions among the inhabitants, the school-house having been erected at the expense of Earl Grosvenor. There are also six almshouses for widows, endowed with £22 per annum. Vestiges of a Roman road, connecting the northern and southern Watling-streets, are still visible." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Aldford, also a township in Aldford ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4853), became a civil parish in 1866.
- The population was 331 in 1801, 521 in 1851, 113 in 1901, 96 in 1951, and 213 in 2001.
- The civil parish was abolished in 2015 to become part of Aldford & Saighton.
- Aldford: St. John the Baptist (Church of England). The ancient parish church for the township of Aldford.
- Aldford, Methodist Chapel (Primitive). Built in 1891, closed in 1979. Registers of Baptisms 1963-1974 are at the Cheshire Archives & Local Studies.
- Great Boughton (1837-69)
- Chester (1870-1937)
- West Cheshire (1937-74)
- Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
- Cheshire West (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
- Broxton (1828-1974)
- Chester (1974-2001)
- Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
- West Cheshire (2012-15)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Aldford to another place.
Places associated with Aldford ancient parish with separate pages
You can see the administrative areas in which Aldford has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ422590 (Lat/Lon: 53.1247, -2.864513), Aldford which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Tarvin Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Tarvin Rural District (1894-1936)
- Chester Rural District (1936-74)
- Chester (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)