Hide

St George, Altrincham, Church of England

hide
Hide
image
Hide

St George,
Church Street,
Altrincham

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

The church has/had a graveyard.

topup

Church History

Built in 1799 as a chapel to Bowdon: St. Mary. In 1860 it became the district church for parts of the townships of Altrincham, Dunham Massey, and Timperley. The boundaries of "The District Chapelry of Saint George, Altrincham" were described in the London Gazette on 28 August 1860:

"All that portion of the parish of Bowdon, in the county and diocese of Chester, wherein the present incumbent now possesses the exclusive cure of souls, which is bounded on the north by the parish of Ashton-upon-Mersey and the particular district of Sale, on the west and south by the new parish of Saint Margaret, Dunham Massey, and the particular district of Timperley, and on the east by the said particular district of Timperley, all in the county and diocese aforesaid."

The district was affected by the following boundary changes:

  • 1911 January 24 — reduced when the constituent part of the township of Timperley, together with parts of the townships of Altrincham and Dunham Massey, were transferred to Broadheath: St. Alban.
topup

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original Registers C 1799-1962 ; M 1861-1972 ; B 1800-1982 — Cheshire Archives (P 132)
C from 1972 ; M from 1972 ; B from 1982 — Church
Microfilm Copies C 1799-1938 ; M 1861-1951 ; B 1800-1926 — Cheshire Archives
C 1799-1907 ; M 1861-1899 ; B 1800-1812 — Family History Society of Cheshire
C 1860-1907 ; M 1861-1913 ; B 1813-1926 — Trafford Local Studies
Bishop's Transcripts 1814-57, 1859-77, 1893-95, 1898 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Archives
Copies and Indexes C 1799-1812 ; B 1800-1812 — also recorded at Bowdon: St. Mary
M 1951-1972 (names, dates and ages only) — Cheshire Archives
M 1861-1920 — Cheshire BMD (TR:CE3)
Notes C 1962-1971 ; M 1951-1972 — destroyed by fire
topup

Maps

It is located at SJ7674288215 (Lat/Lon 53.390254, -2.351178). You can see this on maps provided by:

Hide
hide