Hide

Appleton

hide
Hide

"APPLETON, a township, joint with Hull, in that part of the parish of GREAT BUDWORTH which is in the hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, 4¾ miles (S. S. E.) from Warrington. The population is returned with Hull." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

"HULL, a joint township with Appleton, in that part of the parish of GREAT BUDWORTH which is in the hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER; containing 1435 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Appleton was a township in Great Budworth ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 6284), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlets of Appleton Cross, Appleton Thorn, Broomfield, The Cobbs, Dudlows Green, Hillcliffe, Lumb Brook (part), and Wrights Green.
  • The population was 1206 in 1801, 1828 in 1851, 744 in 1901, 4636 in 1951, and 10477 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Cemeteries

  • Fox Covert Lawn Burial Ground, Firs Lane. Opened 1961.
topup

Civil Registration

  • Runcorn (1837-1974)
  • Warrington (1974+)
topup

Court Records

  • Bucklow (1828-39)
  • Daresbury (1839-1974)
  • Warrington (1974+)
topup

Historical Geography

  • 1896 November 9 — Lost part to Latchford (pop. 467 in 1901)
  • 1897 October 1 — Lost part to Stockton Heath (pop. 2543 in 1901)
topup

Politics & Government

  • Runcorn Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Runcorn Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Warrington (1974+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Runcorn
topup

Voting Registers

  • North Cheshire (1832-67)
  • Mid Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Knutsford (1885-1948)
  • Runcorn (1949-74)