"ASHLEY, a township in the parish of BOWDON, hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, 5 miles (N. N. E.) from Nether Knutsford, containing 392 inhabitants. Ashley Hall, the ancient manorial mansion, is remarkable for containing eleven original portraits of the same number of gentlemen of this county, ancestors of the Grosvenors, Cholmondeleys, and other families, who formed a club during the progress of the Pretender through the north, in 1715, when the expediency of joining his standard was debated: the casting vote against the measure having been given by Thomas Asheton, the owner of the manor and mansion: this decision is considered, from the influence of the parties in Lancashire and Cheshire, to have mainly contributed to the defeat of the enterprise." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Ashley was a township in Bowdon ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 7784), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Castle Mill (part), Hough Green, and Thorns Green.
- The population was 288 in 1801, 379 in 1851, 424 in 1901, 338 in 1951, and 261 in 2001.
- Altrincham (1837-98)
- Bucklow (1898-1974)
- Macclesfield (1974-98)
- Cheshire East (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ashley to another place.
- 1936 April 1 — Lost part to Hale (near Altrincham) (16 acres, pop. 0 in 1931)
You can see the administrative areas in which Ashley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ773843 (Lat/Lon: 53.35509, -2.342507), Ashley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Altrincham Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Altrincham Rural District (1894-95)
- Bucklow Rural District (1895-1974)
- Macclesfield (1974-2009)
- Cheshire East (2009+)