Ashton upon Mersey
"ASHTON-upon-MERSEY, a parish in the hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Ashton upon Mersey and Sale, and containing 1924 inhabitants, of which number, 875 are in the township of Ashton upon Mersey, 6¾ miles (N.) from Altrincham. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £13. 4. 7., and in the patronage of W. Johnson, Esq. and another. The church is dedicated to St. Martin. There are places of worship for Calvinists, Methodists, and Unitarians. The navigable river Mersey runs through the parish. A school is endowed with land and tenements producing about £50 per annum; in addition to which, William Williamson, Esq. left an annuity of £70 for the instruction of children." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Ashton upon Mersey, also a township in the ancient parishes of Ashton upon Mersey and Bowdon, Bucklow hundred (SJ 7792), became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1936 to become part of Sale.
- It included the hamlet of Woodhouses.
- The population was 778 in 1801, 1174 in 1851, and 5563 in 1901.
For the period after 1936, see Sale.
|Sale West Community Church, Newbury Avenue, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Church of England|
|St Martin, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Church of England|
|St Mary Magdalene, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Church of England|
|Cross Street/Park Avenue, Ashton-upon-Mersey, United Reformed Church|
|School Lane, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Independent|
|Whitefield Road, Ashton-upon-Mersey, United Reformed Church|
|Barkers Lane/Washway Road, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|Carrington Lane/Ennerdale Drive, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Methodist|
|Chapel Lane, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Methodist (Primitive)|
|The Avenue/Wincham Road, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Methodist|
|Atkinson Road, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Unitarian|
|All Saints, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Roman Catholic|
|Park Road, Ashton-upon-Mersey, Society of Friends (Quaker)|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Ashton upon Mersey to another place.
"ASHTON-UPON-MERSEY, a parish in the hundred of Bucklow, in the county palatine of Chester, 3 miles to the N. of Altrincham. Manchester is its post town. It is situated on the river Mersey, which is here navigable, and the Bridgwater canal, which joins that river here. It comprises the two townships of Ashton-upon-Mersey and Sale. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Chester, value £608, in the patronage of the Rev. C. B. Sowerby, the incumbent. The church is dedicated to St. Martin. The Unitarians, Calvinists, and Wesleyans have chapels here."
"SALE, a township and ecclesiastical district in the parish of Ashton-upon-Mersey, hundred of Bucklow, county Chester, 512 miles S.E. of Manchester, its post town, 3 N.E. of Altrincham, and 2 from Aston. It has a station at Sale Moor, on the Manchester, Sheffield, and Lincolnshire railway. It is situated near the Bridgwater canal and river Mersey. The soil is of a rich, sandy character, and very fertile. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £513. The church, dedicated to St. Anne, has aspired tower containing one bell. There is an endowed parochial school for both sexes, also a Sunday-school held at the assembly rooms. The Independents, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Unitarians have each a place of worship."
You can see the administrative areas in which Ashton upon Mersey has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ788921 (Lat/Lon: 53.425116, -2.321096), Ashton upon Mersey which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Altrincham Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Altrincham Rural District (1894-95)
- Ashton upon Mersey Urban District (1895-1930)
- Sale Urban District (1930-35)
- Sale Municipal Borough (1935-36)