It was founded in 1572.
An ancient parish church, originally serving Buglawton, Congleton, Davenport, Eaton, Hulme Walfield, Moreton cum Alcumlow, Newbold Astbury, Odd Rode, Radnor, Smallwood, Somerford and Somerford Booths.
The district was affected by the following boundary changes:
- 1841 — reduced when the township of Buglawton and part of the township of Eaton were transferred to Buglawton: St. John the Evangelist.
- 1844 July 10 — reduced when part of the township of Congleton was transferred to Congleton: St. James.
- 1845 August 1 — reduced when part of the township of Congleton was transferred to Congleton: St. Stephen.
- 1846 — reduced when part of the township of Congleton was transferred to Mossley: Holy Trinity.
- 1846 — reduced when the township of Smallwood was transferred to Smallwood: St. John the Baptist.
- 1858 August 2 — reduced when the remaining part of the township of Eaton was transferred to Eaton: Christ Church.
- 1860 October 30 — reduced when the township of Odd Rode was transferred to Odd Rode: All Saints.
- 1867 May 21 — reduced when the remaining part of the township of Congleton was transferred to Congleton: St. Peter.
- 1878 September 27 — reduced when the townships of Hulme Walfield, Radnor, and Somerford Booths, were transferred to Hulme Walfield: St. Michael.
- 1880 June 4 — reduced when the township of Davenport was transferred to Swettenham: St. Peter.
The parish also includes the private chapel of Somerford: All Saints.
C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts
||C from 1572 ; M from 1572 ; B from 1573 — Church
||C 1572-1953 ; M 1572-1969 ; B 1572-1970 — Cheshire Record Office ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies ; Congleton Library
||1593, 1596, 1600, 1604, 1607-09, 1611-15, 1617-23, 1626-27, 1629-31, 1633, 1635-37, 1639, 1657-59, 1661-62, 1664-76, 1679-80, 1682-85, 1693-97, 1702-1898 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office
1889-1898 (microfilmed) — Family History Society of Cheshire
|Copies and Indexes
||CMB 1572-1641 (transcript, 3 vols.) — Cheshire Record Office ; Congleton Library
C 1750-1815 (microfilmed transcript) — Society of Genealogists' Library
M 1703-1755, 1800-1837 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1754-1837 — North & East Cheshire Marriage Index - may be viewable at subscription sites such as ancestry or findmypast
M 1837-1993 — Cheshire BMD (CE:1007)
||Published by the Family History Society of Cheshire (Congleton Group), 1990