"BAGULEY, a township in the parish of BOWDON, hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, 6¼ miles (W. by S.) from Stockport, containing 458 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Baguley (pronounced 'Bag-ley') was a township in the ancient parishes of Baguley and Northenden, Bucklow hundred (SJ 8188), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1931 to become part of Manchester (Lancashire).
- It included the hamlets of Newall Green, Roundthorn, and Wythenshawe (part).
- The population was 423 in 1801, 570 in 1851, and 834 in 1901.
|Brownley Green Baptist, Crossacres Road, Wythenshawe, Baptist|
|Floats Road (now Southmoor Road), Baguley, Baptist|
|Floats Road (now Southmoor Road), Baguley, Congregationalist|
|St Mark, Wythenshawe, United Reformed Church|
|Woodhouse Lane, Heyhead, Wythenshawe, Congregationalist|
|Bowland Road, Baguley, Methodist|
|Dobbinetts Lane, Baguley, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|Lawton Moor Methodist, Button Lane, Baguley, Methodist|
|Sacred Heart, Baguley, Roman Catholic|
|St Aiden, Baguley, Roman Catholic|
|St John Fisher and St Thomas More, Wythenshawe, Roman Catholic|
Manchester South (1936-39)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Baguley to another place.
- 1931 April 1 — Abolished and incorporated into Manchester (Lancashire) (1806 acres, pop. 1325 in 1921)
You can see the administrative areas in which Baguley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ813891 (Lat/Lon: 53.398392, -2.282698), Baguley which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Altrincham Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Altrincham Rural District (1894-95)
- Bucklow Rural District (1895-1931)
- Manchester County Borough (1931-74)
- Manchester Metropolitan Borough (1974+)