Hide

Barthomley

hide
Hide

"BARTHOMLEY, a parish comprising the township of Balterley, in the northern division of the hundred of PIREHILL, county of STAFFORD, and the chapelries of Alsager and Haslington, and the townships of Barthomley and Crewe, in the hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, and containing 2333 inhabitants, of which number, 450 are in the township of Barthomley, 6 miles (S. by E.) from Sandbach. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £25. 7. 1., and in the patronage of Lord Crewe. The church, dedicated to St. Bertoline, exhibits various styles of architecture; it has a Norman porch on the northern side of the chancel. A school is endowed with about £10 per annum, the produce of various benefactions." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Barthomley (pronounced Bar'tumley), also a township in Barthomley ancient parish, Nantwich hundred (SJ 7652), became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlets of Church Bank, Engleseabrook (part), Radway Green (part), Rushey Lake and Smith's Green.
  • The population was 184 in 1801, 450 in 1851, 292 in 1901, 263 in 1951, and 202 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Nantwich (1837-1937)
  • Crewe (1937-74)
  • Congleton & Crewe (1974-88)
  • South Cheshire (1988-98)
  • Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Nantwich (1828-1974)
  • Crewe & Nantwich (1974-92)
  • South Cheshire (1992+)
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Barthomley which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"BARTHOMLEY, a parish partly in the hundred of Nantwith, in the county palatine of Chester, and partly in the north division of the hundred of Pirehill, in the county of Stafford, 7 miles to the E. of Nantwich. The Crewe, Stoke, and Uttoxeter section of the North Staffordshire railway passes through it. Alsager, Crewe Green, and Haslington are chapelries, with their several district churches, and Batterley a township of this parish. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Chester, of the value of £824, in the gift of the Trustees of the late Lord Crewe. The church is ancient, and is dedicated to St. Bertoline. It has a Norman porch, and a carved and richly ornamented roof, put up in 1589. It contains a sculptured altar-tomb, with an effigy of Sir Robert Fulshurst, who died in 1389, and several other monuments. The charitable endowments amount to £51, including £10, the revenue of a small school founded in 1676. The principal seat is Barthomley Hall, situated on Alsager Heath."

"ALSAGER, a chapelry in the parish of Barthomley, hundred of Nantwich, in the county palatine of Chester, 4 miles to the S.E. of Sandbach. It is situated near the Trunk canal and the river Wenlock, and is a station on the North Staffordshire railway. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Chester, value £100, in the patronage of the landowners. The chapel was erected and endowed by Mary, Judith, and Margaret Alsager. There is a free school for boys and girls, which was also founded and endowed by them. There is a chapel belonging to the Wesleyan Methodists."

topup

Historical Geography

Places associated with Barthomley ancient parish with separate pages

You can see the administrative areas in which Barthomley has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ762549 (Lat/Lon: 53.090969, -2.356654), Barthomley which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Nantwich Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Nantwich Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Crewe & Nantwich (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Nantwich
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Crewe (1885-1974)