"BEBBINGTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of WIRRALL, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Higher Bebbington, Lower Bebbington, Poulton with Spittle, Storeton, and Tranmore, and containing 1678 inhabitants, of which number, 216 are in the township of Higher Bebbington, 6½ miles (N. N. E.), and 316 in that of Lower Bebbington, 5¾ (N. E. by N.), from Great Neston. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £30. 13. 4., and in the patronage of the Rev. S. Feilden and another. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is partly Norman, and partly in the early, decorated, and later styles of English architecture, with a tower surmounted by a spire: the nave is separated from the south aisle by a range of Norman arches, resting on massive cylindrical columns, and the chancel, with its lateral aisles, is of the later English style. Attached to the eastern end of the church is a room, used for a school, which was founded in 1655, and endowed by the parishioners with twenty acres of land, the rent of which, amounting to £25 per annum, is applied to the instruction of the poor children of Lower Bebbington. Strata of excellent freestone exist in this parish, which is of a much whiter quality than that found in any other part of the county. The navigable river Mersey runs along the northern border of the parish." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Bebington and Bromborough was a civil parish created in 1922 by uniting Bromborough, Higher Bebington and Lower Bebington.
- Since 1974 it has been an unparished area in the county of Merseyside.
- The population was 39715 in 1951, and 58226 in 2001.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bebington to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Bebington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ316849 (Lat/Lon: 53.356608, -3.028708), Bebington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Bebington & Bromborough Urban District (1922-33)
- Bebington Urban District (1933-37)
- Bebington Municpal Borough (1937-74)
- Wirral Metropolitan Borough [Merseyside] (1974+)