Hide

Betchton

hide
Hide

"BECHTON, a township in that part of the parish of SANDBACH which is in the hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 2¼ miles (S. E.) from Sandbach, containing 759 inhabitants. The Grand Trunk canal passes close to the salt-works here." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Betchton was a township in Sandbach ancient parish, Northwich hundred (SJ 7858), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlets of Boult's Green, Chellshill, Dean Hill, Dubthorne (part), Four Lane Ends (part), Hassall Green, Lawton Heath End, Malkin's Bank (part) and Roughwood.
  • The population was 578 in 1801, 822 in 1851, 692 in 1901, 719 in 1951, and 620 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Congleton (1837-1937)
  • Crewe (1937-74)
  • Congleton & Crewe (1974-88)
  • South Cheshire (1988-98)
  • Cheshire East (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Nantwich (1828-39)
  • Northwich (1839-99)
  • Middlewich & Sandbach (1899-1907)
  • Sandbach (1907-67)
  • South East Cheshire (1967-74)
  • Congleton (1974-92)
  • South Cheshire (1992+)
topup

Historical Geography

topup

Politics & Government

  • Congleton Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Congleton Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Congleton (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Congleton
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Crewe (1885-1948)
  • Knutsford (1949-74)