Hide

Bidston

hide
Hide

"BIDSTONE, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of WIRRALL, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the chapelry of Birkenhead, and the townships of Bidstone with Ford, Claughton with Grange, Moreton, and Saughall-Massey, and containing 1014 inhabitants, of which number, 257 are in the township of Bidstone with Ford, 9½ miles (N.) from Great Neston. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £200 and £35 per annum private benefaction, £200 royal bounty, and £1300 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Chester. A lighthouse, standing on an elevated site in this township, was purchased by the corporation of Liverpool, under an act obtained in 1762, and is supported by a duty levied on all vessels sailing to or from that port. A school is endowed with £8 per annum, and a house and garden for the master." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

"FORD, a joint township with Bidstone, in the parish of BIDSTONE, lower division of the hundred of WIRRALL, county palatine of CHESTER, 8½ miles (N.) from Great Neston, containing 257 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Bidston cum Ford, also a township in Bidston ancient parish, Wirral hundred (SJ 2889), became a civil parish in 1866.
  • The civil parish was abolished in 1933 to become parts of Birkenhead and Wallasey.
  • It included the hamlets of Bidston Moss and Ford.
  • The population was 199 in 1801, 293 in 1851, and 465 in 1901.

For the period after 1933, see Birkenhead and Wallasey.

Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Wirral (1837-61)
  • Birkenhead (1861-1936)
topup

Court Records

  • Wirral (1828-1933)
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Bidston which are provided by:

topup

Gazetteers

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"BIDSTON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of Wirrall, in the county palatine of Chester, 3 miles to the W. of Birkenhead, its post town. It is situated on a tongue of land between the rivers Mersey and Dee, and includes the townships of Bidston-cum-Ford, Claughton-cum-Grange, Moreton-cum-Lingham, and Saughall-Massey. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Chester, value £150, in the patronage of the bishop. There is a small endowed school with an income of £10 per annum, and other charities which produce about £5 a year. On Bidston Hill, which is about 250 feet high, commanding an extensive prospect over the Irish Sea, Liverpool, and the estuaries of Mersey and Dee, is a lighthouse, which was built in 1762, and now belongs to the Mersey Dock and Harbour Board, Liverpool. It is of stone, 50 feet in height, with a fixed light visible 23 miles off. On the same hill is a telegraph station, one in a chain of 70 miles long, communicating between Liverpool and Holyhead. In the township of Claughton there is a district church called Christ Church, the living of which is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of trustees. The Birkenhead Commissioners are now constructing a cemetery in this township, with chapels for Church of England, Roman Catholics, and Dissenters; and also water-works, with water-tower, &c., for the supply of Birkenhead. In the village of Moreton there is a school, erected by subscription in 1861, and intended for the younger children of the neighbourhood."

topup

Historical Geography

Places associated with Bidston ancient parish with separate pages

 

  • 1928 April 1 — Lost parts to Wallasey (592 acres, pop. 10 in 1921) and Birkenhead (443 acres, pop. 423 in 1921)
  • 1933 April 1 — Abolished and divided between Birkenhead (575 acres, pop. 506 in 1931) and Wallasey (103 acres, pop. 0 in 1931)

You can see the administrative areas in which Bidston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ281897 (Lat/Lon: 53.399601, -3.082309), Bidston which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Wirral Rural Sanitary District (1875-91)
  • Birkenhead Rural Sanitary District (1891-94)
  • Wirral Rural District (1891-1933)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Wirral (1836-61)
  • Birkenhead (1861-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-85)
  • Wirral (1885-1933)