Bollington (near Macclesfield)
"BOLLINGTON, a township in the parish of PRESTBURY, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 2½ miles (N. by E.) from Macclesfield, containing 1723 inhabitants. The village lies on the banks of a small stream, called the Bolling, from which its name is derived. Here are some silk and cotton factories, collieries, and a water-mill for grinding bark; and so prosperous has been the trade of the place, that the population has increased one-third since the census of 1821. The Macclesfield canal passes through the township. A chapel has lately been erected, by means of a grant obtained from the parliamentary commissioners. The Wesleyan Methodists have a meetinghouse, attached to which is a Sunday school, wherein five hundred children are instructed. At Kerridge Hill, which is partly in this township, and partly in that of Rainow, there are quarries of freestone and slate, worked to a considerable extent, the produce being chiefly sent to the neighbouring towns; they were formerly leased by the Crown to the corporation of Macclesfield, but have been assigned, by an act passed in the 1st of Charles I., to the proprietors of land in the vicinity." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Bollington was a township in Prestbury ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ 7286), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Bollington Cross, Five Ashes, Kerridge, Lower House, Mode Hill and Turnerheath.
- The population was 1231 in 1801, 4655 in 1851, 5245 in 1901, 5644 in 1951, and 7095 in 2001.
- Prestbury: St. Peter (Church of England). The ancient parish church for the township of Bollington.
- Bollington: St. John the Baptist (Church of England). Built in 1834 as a chapel to Prestbury: St. Peter, becoming the district church for Bollington in 1842. Closed in 2004.
- Bollington Cross: St. Oswald (Church of England). Built in 1892 as a chapel to Bollington: St. John the Baptist, which it succeeded as the district church in 2004.
- Bollington: St. Gregory (Roman Catholic), Wellington Road. Founded in 1821. Rebuilt in 1987.
- Bollington, Methodist Chapel (Primitive), High Street. Built in 1859, closed in 1956. Registers of baptisms 1941-54 amd marriages 1901-1952 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Bollington, Methodist Chapel (New Connexion), Grimshaw Lane. Built c1887, closed in 1956. Registers of baptisms 1889-1956 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Bollington, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Wellington Road. Founded in 1808. Rebuilt in 1837 and 1885. Registers of baptisms 1841-2011 and marriages 1868-2012 are at the Cheshire Record Office.
- Kerridge, Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan). Built in 1895, closed in 1982.
- Bollington, United Reformed Church (Independent/Congregational), Palmerston Street. Built in 1867, closed early 1980s.
- Macclesfield (1837-1998)
- Cheshire East (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bollington (near Macclesfield) to another place.
- 1894 — Lost the rural part to Kerridge (pop. 1676 in 1901)
- 1900 September 30 — Re-gained the whole of Kerridge (pop. 1676 in 1901)
- 1936 April 1 — Gained parts of Adlington (7 acres, pop. 2 in 1931), Butley (15 acres, pop. 18 in 1931), and Tytherington (129 acres, pop. 15 in 1931)
- 1992 April 1 — Gained part of Higher Hurdsfield, and lost part to Higher Hurdsfield
You can see the administrative areas in which Bollington (near Macclesfield) has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ937778 (Lat/Lon: 53.297117, -2.095983), Bollington (near Macclesfield) which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Bollington Local Board (partly, 1862-75)
- Bollington Urban Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94)
- Macclesfield Rural Sanitary District (parly, 1875-94) *
- Bollington Urban District (1894-1974)
- Macclesfield (1974-2009)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
* The part of Bollington in Macclesfield Rural Sanitary District (1875-94) became the civil parish of Kerridge in 1894.