BOLLINGTON: St. John the Baptist (Church of England)

Church Street  

Church History

Founded in 1834 as a chapel to Prestbury: St. Peter. In 1842 it became the district church for the township of Bollington. The boundaries of "The Chapelry District of Bollington" were described in the London Gazette on 10 May 1842:

"Such district should be named "The Chapelry District of Bollington," which should comprize the township of Bollington, the same being bounded on the north and north west by the township of Adlington ; on the north east by the township of Pott Shrigley ; on the east bv the township ot Rainow; on the south by the townships of Hurdsfield and of Tytherington; and on the west by the township of Butley (all the said townships being in the parish of Prestbury)"

The district was affected by the following boundary changes:

  • 1968 November 22 — (details not available)

Closed on 10 June 2004, and succeeded as the district church by Bollington Cross: St. Oswald.

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts

Original Registers C 1834-1975 ; M 1838-2003 ; B 1835-2004 — Cheshire Record Office (P 184)
C from 1975 ; M from 1989 ; B from 2004 — held at Bollington Cross: St. Oswald
Microfilm Copies C 1834-1958 ; M 1838-1959 ; B 1835-1937 — Cheshire Record Office
Bishop's Transcripts 1834-1840 — included with the BTs of Prestbury: St. Peter
1841-78,1888-93 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office ; Family History Society of Cheshire
1856-78,1888-93 (microfilmed) — Macclesfield Library
Copies and Indexes M 1838-2003 — Cheshire BMD (CE:1014)
B 1835-1937 — Published by North Cheshire Family History Society
Monumental Inscriptions Published by North Cheshire Family History Society (compiled by the Macclesfield Ferrets, 1987)
Online searchable database — Church Website

  Explanatory Notes Index of Churches