"BOWDON, a parish in the hundred of BUCKLOW, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the market-town of Altrincham, the chapelry of Carrington, and the townships of Agden, Ashley, Baguley, Bollington, Bowdon, Dunham-Massey, Hale, Partington, and Timperley, and containing 7442 inhabitants, of which number, 433 are in the township of Bowdon, 1 mile (S. W. by S.) from Altrincham. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the kings books at £24, and in the patronage of the Bishop or Chester. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is an ancient structure on an elevated site, the churchyard commanding an extensive and pleasing panoramic view or the surrounding country; it was annexed to the See of Chester, by Henry VIII., on the dissolution, of Birkenhead priory, to which it had been given by Hamon de Massey, the fifth of that name: the rectorial tithes are leased by the bishop to the Earl of Stamford and Warrington, who, as lord of the ancient barony of Dunham-Massey, appoints four churchwardens for the parish. Mr. Edward Vawdrey, about the year 1600, gave £4 per annum toward the endowment of a grammar school: the school-room was rebuilt at the expense of the parishioners, about 1670, and again in 1806, with a convenient house for the master. A charity school has also been built, and is supported by subscription. The Earl of Warrington, in 1754, gave £168. 6. for educating and apprenticing children, and for the relief of the poor. There is also a school for boys at Scamons Moss, and another for boys and girls at Littleheath, founded and endowed by the late Mr. Thomas Walton. A Roman road passed through the parish." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Bowdon, also a township in Bowdon ancient parish, Bucklow hundred (SJ 7586), became a civil parish in 1866.
- Since 1974 it has been an unparished area in the county of Greater Manchester.
- It includes the hamlet of Rosehill.
- The population was 340 in 1801, 1164 in 1851, 2788 in 1901, 3529 in 1951, and 6079 in 2001.
- Bowdon: St. Mary (Church of England). The ancient parish church for the township of Bowdon.
- Ashley: St. Elizabeth (Church of England). From 1881 a district church serving part of the township of Bowdon.
- Bowdon, St. Paul's Methodist Church (Wesleyan), Enville Road. Built in 1880.
- Bowdon, Methodist Church (Wesleyan), Vicarage Lane.
- Bowdon, Methodist Church (Wesleyan), Priory Street.
- Bowdon, Presbyterian Church, Delamere Road. Built in 1872.
|Holy Trinity, Little Bollington, Church of England|
|St Luke, Bowdon, Church of England|
|St Mary the Virgin, Bowdon, Church of England|
|St Mary the Virgin, Partington, Church of England|
|Partington, United Reformed Church|
|Bowdon Vale Methodist, Priory Street, Bowdon, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|St Paul, Bowdon, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|Warburton Lane, Partington, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|West Road, Rose Hill, Bowdon, Methodist (Wesleyan)|
|Delamer Road, Bowdon, Presbyterian|
|Our Lady of Lourdes, Partington, Roman Catholic|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Bowdon to another place.
Places associated with Bowdon ancient parish with separate pages
- Agden (near Lymm); Altrincham; Ashley; Ashton upon Mersey; Bollington (near Lymm); Bollington, Little
- Bowdon; Carrington; Dunham Massey; Hale (near Altrincham); Little Bollington; Partington; Ringway ??; Timperley
- 1883 March 25 — Gained a detached of Bollington (near Lymm) (less than 1 acre, pop. 0 in 1891)
- 1894 — Lost the former detached part of Bollington (near Lymm) (less than 1 acre, pop. 0 in 1891), which became a separate unnamed parish in Altrincham Rural District under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1894
- 1936 April 1 — Regained the whole of the unnamed parish which until 1883 formed part of Bollington (near Lymm) and gained further parts of Bollington (near Lymm) (2 acres, pop. 0 in 1931) and Dunham Massey (240 acres, pop. 85 in 1931), and lost parts to Altrincham (2 acres, pop. 29 in 1931) and Hale (near Altrincham) (less than 1 acre, pop. 0 in 1931)
You can see the administrative areas in which Bowdon has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ763882 (Lat/Lon: 53.389703, -2.357426), Bowdon which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Bowdon Local Board (1864-75)
- Bowdon Urban Sanitary District (1875-94) *
- Bowdon Urban District (1894-1974)
- Trafford Metropolitan Borough [Greater Manchester] (1974+)
* The former detached part of Bollington (near Lymm) which was transferred to Bowdon in 1883 remained in Altrincham Rural Sanitary District until it became a separate parish under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1894.