Hide

Bradwall

hide
Hide

"BRADWELL, a township in the parish of SANDBACH, hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Sandbach, containing 282 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Bradwall was a township in Sandbach ancient parish, Northwich hundred (SJ 7463), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlets of Lower Daleacre, Higher Daleacre (from 1936), Elworth (until 1936) and Hollinsgreen.
  • The population was 252 in 1801, 291 in 1851, 924 in 1901, 223 in 1951, and 166 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Congleton (1837-1937) *
  • Crewe (1937-74)
  • Congleton & Crewe (1974-88)
  • South Cheshire (1988-98)
  • Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)

* The part of the former civil parish of Kinderton, which was added to Bradwall in 1936, remained in Northwich registration district until 1937.

topup

Court Records

  • Northwich (1828-99)
  • Middlewich & Sandbach (1899-1907)
  • Sandbach (1907-67)
  • South East Cheshire (1967-74)
  • Congleton (1974-92)
  • South Cheshire (1992+)
topup

Historical Geography

  • 1883 March 25 — Gained detached part No. 2 of Kinderton cum Hulme (2 acres, pop. 0 in 1891)
  • 1936 April 1 — Gained the hamlet of Higher Daleacre from Kinderton (43 acres, pop. 10 in 1931), and lost the village of Elworth to Sandbach (222 acres, pop. 1075 in 1931)
topup

Politics & Government

  • Congleton Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Congleton Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Congleton (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Congleton
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • Mid Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1915)
  • Northwich (1918-48)
  • Knutsford (1949-74)