"BRINNINGTON, a township in the parish of STOCKPORT, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 2 miles (N. E. by N.) from Stockport, containing 2124 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Brinnington was a township in Stockport ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ 9192), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1902 and incorporated into Bredbury, with the greater part of its area having been added to Stockport in 1901.
- It includes the hamlets of May Croft and Portwood
- The population was 890 in 1801, 5203 in 1851, and 98 in 1901.
- Stockport (County) (wholly, 1828-35 and 1894-1902 ; partly, 1835-94) *
- Stockport (Borough) (partly, 1835-94) *
* The part in Stockport (Borough) (1835-94) was added to the civil parish of Stockport in 1894.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Brinnington to another place.
You can see the administrative areas in which Brinnington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ914924 (Lat/Lon: 53.428407, -2.130532), Brinnington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Stockport Municipal Borough (partly, 1835-89) *
- Stockport Urban Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94) *
- Stockport Rural Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94)
- Stockport County Borough (partly, 1889-94) *
- Stockport Rural District (1894-1902)
* The part in Stockport Municipal Borough (1835-89), Stockport County Borough (1889-94) and Stockport Urban Sanitary District (1875-89) was added to the civil parish of Stockport in 1894.