An ancient parish church, originally serving the townships of Agden, Bickerton, Bickley, Bradley, Broxton, Bulkeley, Chidlow, Cholmondeley, Chorlton, Cuddington, Duckington, Edge, Egerton, Hampton, Iscoyd (Flintshire), Larkton, Macefen, Malpas, Newton by Malpas, Oldcastle, Overton, Stockton, Tushingham with Grindley, Wigland and Wychough. It included the chapels of Cholmondeley: St. Nicholas and Threapwood: St. John.
The district was affected by the following boundary changes:
- 1843 — reduced when the townships of Bickley, Broxton, Bulkeley, Duckington, Egerton and Larkton were transferred to Bickerton: Holy Trinity.
- 1860 August 3 — reduced when the townships of Agden, Bradley, Chidlow, Macefen and Tushingham with Grindley, and parts of the townships of Bickley, Hampton and Malpas, were transferred to Tushingham: St. Chad..
- 1885 May 22 — reduced when the Flintshire township of Iscoyd was transferred to Whitewell: St. Mary.
- 1893 February 3 — reduced when the township of Cholmondeley and the remaining part of the township of Bickley were transferred to Bickley: St. Winefrede.
- 1968 August 26 — enlarged to include the former extra-parochial area of Threapwood (including the chapel of Threapwood: St. John).
C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts
|Original Registers||C 1561-1948 ; M 1561-2007 ; B 1561-1905 — Cheshire Record Office (P 21)|
C from 1949 ; M from 2007 — Church
|Microfilm Copies||C 1561-1948 ; M 1561-1951 ; B 1561-1905 — Cheshire Record Office|
C 1561-1948 ; M 1561-1927 ; B 1561-1905 — Family History Society of Cheshire ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies
|Bishop's Transcripts||1584, 1599-1603, 1609-11, 1613-15, 1617-18, 1622-28, 1630, 1633, 1635, 1637-40, 1662, 1664, 1666-77, 1679-85, 1687-91, 1693-98, 1700-1849,1851-93 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office|
|Copies and Indexes||CMB 1561-1812 (transcript by J. Wolley Dod, 3 vols.) — Cheshire Record Office|
M 1561-1927 — North Wales Marriage Index
M 1570-1837 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1837-1958 — Cheshire BMD (CW:CE36)
|Notes||CMB 1609-1614 — omitted from registers|