Hide

Bunbury

hide
Hide

"BUNBURY, a parish, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the chapelry of Burwardsley, in the higher division of the hundred of BROXTON, and the townships of Alpraham, Beeston, Bunbury, Calveley, Haughton, Peckforton, Ridley, Spurstow, Tilston-Fernall, Tiverton, and Wardle, in the first division of the hundred of EDDISBURY, county palatine of CHESTER, and containing 4021 inhabitants, of which number, 667 are in the township of Bunbury, 3½ miles (S. S. E.) from Tarporley. ... More." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Bunbury, also a township in Bunbury ancient parish, Eddisbury hundred (SJ 5758), became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlets of Bowe's Gate, Gosland Green, Sadler's Wells and Woodworth Green.
  • The population was 519 in 1801, 931 in 1851, 820 in 1901, 915 in 1951, and 1308 in 2001.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Nantwich (1837-1937)
  • Crewe (1937-74)
  • Congleton & Crewe (1974-88)
  • South Cheshire (1988-98)
  • Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Court Records

  • Eddisbury (1828-1974)
  • Crewe & Nantwich (1974-92)
  • South Cheshire (1992+)
topup

Description & Travel

You can see pictures of Bunbury which are provided by:

topup

Directories

Transcription for Bunbury from Samuel Lewis - A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831)

topup

Gazetteers

The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868

"BUNBURY, a parish in the first division of the hundred of Eddisbury, but extending also into the higher division of the hundred of Broxton, in the county palatine of Chester, 6 miles to the N.W. of Nantwich, and 32 S.E. of Tarporley, its post town. It is intersected by the Chester and Crewe section of the North-Western railway, and the Chester and Nantwich canal. Beeston and Calveley, in this parish, are railway stations. The parish is of great extent, containing the chapelry of Burwardsley (in Broxton hundred), and the townships of Alpraham, Beeston, Bunbury, Calveley, Haughton, Peckforton, Ridley, Spurstow, Tilstone-Fearnall, Tiverton, and Wardle. It belonged anciently to Hugh Lupus, by whom it was granted to the Bunbury family. A college was founded here by Sir Hugh do Calveley about the year 1386, which had a revenue at the Dissolution of £48. There are no remains of the buildings, but the site is not far from the church. Sir Hugh was a famous soldier of the reigns of Edward III. and Richard II., and distinguished himself especially in the invasions of France under the former monarch. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Chester, worth £117, in the gift of the Master and Wardens of the Haberdashers' Company. The church, formerly collegiate, is dedicated to St. Boniface. It is a handsome edifice, in the perpendicular style, with a tower surmounted by eight pinnacles. It has two elegant side chapels, called the Spurstow and Ridley chapels, the latter of which, built in 1527 by Sir R. Egerton, of Ridley, contains his tomb, adorned with curious sculpture and paintings. The church has also a fine altar-tomb to Sir Hugh Calveley, with his effigies in armour, and several monuments to the Beestons, one of whom, Sir George Beeston, was an admiral in command at the destruction of the Armada. He was then 89 years of age, and died in 1601.

topup

Historical Geography

Places associated with Bunbury ancient parish with separate pages

 

You can see the administrative areas in which Bunbury has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

topup

Maps

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ564573 (Lat/Lon: 53.110854, -2.652512), Bunbury which are provided by:

topup

Politics & Government

  • Nantwich Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Nantwich Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Crewe & Nantwich (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire East (2009+)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Nantwich
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1948)
  • Crewe (1949-54)
  • Nantwich (1955-74)