Hide

Caldecott

hide
Hide

"CALDECOTT, a township in the parish of SHOCKLACH, higher division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, 5½ miles (N. W.) from Malpas, containing 84 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Caldecott was a township in Shocklach ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4351), which became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlet of Castletown (part).
  • The population was 59 in 1801, 62 in 1851, 44 in 1901, 33 in 1951, and 24 in 2001.
  • In 2015 the civil parish was abolished and incorporated into Shocklach & District.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Wrexham (1837-96)
  • Chester (1897-1937)
  • West Cheshire (1937-74)
  • Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
  • Cheshire West (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
topup

Court Records

  • Broxton (1828-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2001)
  • Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
  • West Cheshire (2012-15)
topup

Historical Geography

  • 1888 March 24 — Gained a detached part to Caldecott (31 acres, pop. 0 in 1891)
  • 2015 April 1 — Abolished to become part of Shocklach & District.
topup

Politics & Government

  • Tarvin Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
  • Tarvin Rural District (1894-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Wrexham (1837-96)
  • Tarvin (1897-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1948)
  • Northwich (1949-54)
  • Nantwich (1955-74)