"CHEADLE, a parish in the hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 3 miles (W. S. W.) from Stockport, comprising the townships of Cheadle- Bulkeley, Cheadle-Moseley, and Handforth with Boxden, and containing 6508 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £13. 0. 7½., and in the patronage of Sir J. D. Broughton, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is principally in the later style of English architecture, with side aisles and a tower, and contains some monuments of the Brereton and Bulkeley families. There are places of worship for Methodists and Roman Catholics in this parish. The village, situated near the Bollin, is remarkable for the beauty and salubrity of its situation, and its very neat and cleanly appearance. The chief employment of the inhabitants is in the spinning, bleaching, and printing of cotton. There are two manors in the parish, Cheadle-Bulkeley and Cheadle-Huhne, or Moseley: for the former a court is held in October; and for the latter, on the first Thursday after June 24th. A school, built by subscription among the inhabitants, was endowed by John Robinson, in 1788, with land let for about £40 per annum; and Mr. Stubbs also bequeathed land for teaching children." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Cheadle, once an ancient parish but also a civil parish (SJ 8688) created in 1879 by uniting Cheadle Bulkeley with Cheadle Moseley.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1930 to become part of Cheadle & Gatley.
- It included the hamlets of Brinksway, Bruntwood, Cheadle Heath, Cheadle Hulme, Edgeley and Outwood.
- The population was 9014 in 1901.
|Old Hall Road, Gatley, Congregationalist|
|Wilmslow Road, Heald Green, Congregationalist|
- Stockport (Borough) (partly, 1879-94)
- Stockport (County) (partly, 1879-94 ; wholly, 1894-1930)
* The part in Stockport (Borough) (1879-94) was added to the civil parish of Stockport in 1894.
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Cheadle to another place.
Places associated with Cheadle ancient parish with separate pages
- Bosden; Cheadle; Cheadle & Gatley; Cheadle Bulkeley; Cheadle Moseley; Handforth; Handforth cum Bosden; Hazel Grove & Bramhall ??
- 1879 September 22 — Created from the whole of Cheadle Bulkeley and Cheadle Moseley
- 1883 March 25 — Gained a detached part of Bramhall (16 acres, pop. 0 in 1891)
- 1894 — Lost the part in Stockport County Borough to Stockport (pop. 15099 in 1901)
- 1901 November 9 — Lost part to Stockport (pop. 7959 in 1911)
- 1930 March 31 — Abolished and incorporated into Cheadle & Gatley (3515 acres, pop. 8949 in 1921)
You can see the administrative areas in which Cheadle has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ891864 (Lat/Lon: 53.374098, -2.165702), Cheadle which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Stockport Municipal Borough (partly, 1879-89) * *
- Stockport Rural Sanitary District (partly, 1879-86)
- Stockport Urban Sanitary District (partly, 1879-94) *
- Cheadle & Gatley Urban Sanitary District (partly, 1886-94)
- Stockport County Borough (partly, 1889-94) *
- Cheadle & Gatley Urban District (1894-1930)
* The part in Stockport Municipal Borough (1879-89), Stockport Urban Sanitary District (1879-89) and Stockport County Borough (1889-94) was added to the civil parish of Stockport in 1894.