Chester - St Mary on the Hill
"CHESTER; The city comprises the parishes of St. Bridget, St. John the Baptist, Little St. John, St. Martin, St. Michael, St. Olave, and St. Peter; and part of the parishes of St. Mary on the Hill, St. Oswald, and the Holy Trinity, and the precinct of the Cathedral Close; all in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester.
The living of the parish of St. Mary on the Hill is a rectory, rated in the king's books at £52, and in the patronage of Earl Grosvenor: the church is a venerable building in the later style of English architecture."
[From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
"GLOVERSTONE, a township in that part of the parish of ST. MARY CHESTER, which is in the lower division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER. The population is returned with the parish." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chester - St Mary on the Hill to another place.
"CHESTER ST. MARY ON THE HILL, a parish in the city of Chester."
"LEACH, a township in the parish of Chester St. Mary-on-the-Hill, lower division of the hundred of Broxton, county Chester, 2 miles S.W. of Chester. It is joined with Marlston."
"MARLSTON-CUM-LEACH, a township in the parish of Chester St. Mary-on-the-Hill, lower division of the hundred of Broxton, county Chester, 2 miles S.W. of Chester. It is situated on the line of the Wrexham railway."
"MOLLINGTON BANASTRE, (or Little Mollington), a township in the parish of Chester St. Mary-on-the-Hill, higher division of the hundred of Wirrall, county Chester, 2 miles N.W. of Chester, and 1 mile S. of the Mollington railway station.
"MOSTON, a township in the parish of Chester St. Mary-on-the-Hill, lower division of the hundred of Broxton, county Chester, 3 miles N. by W. of Chester. The township is of small extent. The only object of attraction is Moston Hall, which is situated in a wooded park. Richard Massey, Esq., is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The Chester and Birkenhead railway is here carried over the Ellesmere canal by a viaduct of eleven arches, the central arch having a span of 50 feet."
"UPTON, a township in the parish of Chester St. Mary-on-the-Hill, lower division of Broxton hundred, county Chester, 2 miles N. of Chester, its post town, and 10 from Great Neston. It is situated on the Birkenhead, Lancashire, and Cheshire Junction railway, and contains the county pauper lunatic asylum, accommodating about 300 patients. In the neighbourhood are extensive nursery-grounds. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory of St. Mary-on-the-Hill, in the diocese of Chester. There is a National school for both sexes."
You can see the administrative areas in which Chester - St Mary on the Hill has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ404658 (Lat/Lon: 53.185939, -2.893366), Chester - St Mary on the Hill which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)