St Mary on the Hill, Chester, Church of England
St Mary on the Hill,
St Marys Hill,
It was founded in 1628. It closed in 1972.
St. Mary's Hill
An ancient parish church, originally serving the townships of Claverton, Little Mollington, Marlston cum Lache and Moston, part of the township of Upton, and part of the city of Chester.
The district was affected by the following boundary changes:
- 1855 October 16 — reduced by the creation of the consolidated chapelry of Lache cum Saltney: Holy Epiphany.
- 1882 December 8 — reduced when the townships of Moston and Little Mollington, and the constituent part of the township of Upton by Chester, were transferred to the new ecclesiastical district of Upton: Holy Ascension.
In 1887 the building was succeeded as the district church by Chester: St. Mary without the Walls, to which old St. Mary's served as a chapel until 27 September 1887 when it was transferred to Chester: St. Bridget. When the latter church closed in 1891, St. Mary on the Hill took over as the district church until it too closed on 30 June 1972, and is now a community and cultural centre.
C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts
|Original Registers||C 1628-1887 ; M 1630-1887 ; B 1628-1854 — Cheshire Archives (P 20)|
|Microfilm Copies||C 1628-1887 ; M 1630-1887 ; B 1628-1854 — Cheshire Archives ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies ; Family History Society of Cheshire|
|Bishop's Transcripts||1601, 1604-05, 1616, 1622, 1624-25, 1627, 1630, 1663, 1666-75, 1677,1679-86, 1688-1795, 1798, 1800, 1802-04, 1806-07, 1809-87 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Archives ; Family History Society of Cheshire|
|Copies and Indexes||CMB 1547-1628 (partial transcript by A. J. Farrington) — Cheshire Archives
C 1628-1646, 1813-1814, 1820-1824 (transcript) — Cheshire Archives ; Society of Genealogists' Library
C 1547-1701, 1813-1814, 1820-1831 ; M 1547-1683, 1754-1766 ; B 1547-1706, 1823-1829, 1837-1844, 1851-1854 — published by the Family History Society of Cheshire
C 1813-1814, 1820-1831 — Cheshire Archives ; Chester Library
M 1805-1837 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1837-1887 — Cheshire BMD (CW:CE14)
|Monumental Inscriptions||Cheshire Archives, Chester Library (church interior only)|
|Notes||CM from 1887 — see Chester: St. Mary without the Walls|
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- Old Maps Online
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)