It was founded in 1628. It closed in 1972.
St. Mary's Hill
An ancient parish church, originally serving the townships of Claverton, Little Mollington, Marlston cum Lache and Moston, part of the township of Upton, and part of the city of Chester.
The district was affected by the following boundary changes:
- 1855 October 16 — reduced by the creation of the consolidated chapelry of Lache cum Saltney: Holy Epiphany.
- 1882 December 8 — reduced when the townships of Moston and Little Mollington, and the constituent part of the township of Upton by Chester, were transferred to the new ecclesiastical district of Upton: Holy Ascension.
In 1887 the building was succeeded as the district church by Chester: St. Mary without the Walls, to which old St. Mary's served as a chapel until 27 September 1887 when it was transferred to Chester: St. Bridget. When the latter church closed in 1891, St. Mary on the Hill took over as the district church until it too closed on 30 June 1972, and is now a community and cultural centre.
C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts
||C 1628-1887 ; M 1630-1887 ; B 1628-1854 — Cheshire Record Office (P 20)
||C 1628-1887 ; M 1630-1887 ; B 1628-1854 — Cheshire Record Office ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies ; Family History Society of Cheshire
||1601, 1604-05, 1616, 1622, 1624-25, 1627, 1630, 1663, 1666-75, 1677,1679-86, 1688-1795, 1798, 1800, 1802-04, 1806-07, 1809-87 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office ; Family History Society of Cheshire
|Copies and Indexes
||CMB 1547-1628 (partial transcript by A. J. Farrington) — Cheshire Record Office
C 1628-1646, 1813-1814, 1820-1824 (transcript) — Cheshire Record Office ; Society of Genealogists' Library
C 1547-1701, 1813-1814, 1820-1831 ; M 1547-1683, 1754-1766 ; B 1547-1706, 1823-1829, 1837-1844, 1851-1854 — published by the Family History Society of Cheshire
C 1813-1814, 1820-1831 — Cheshire Record Office ; Chester Library
M 1805-1837 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1837-1887 — Cheshire BMD (CW:CE14)
||Cheshire Record Office, Chester Library (church interior only)
||CM from 1887 — see Chester: St. Mary without the Walls