Chorley (near Wilmslow)
"CHORLEY, a township in the parish of WILMSLOW, hundred of MACCLESFIELD, county palatine of CHESTER, 5¾ miles (N. W. by W.) from Macclesfield, containing 478 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Chorley was a township in Wilmslow ancient parish, Macclesfield hundred (SJ 8278), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- In 1894 the town of Alderley Edge and the hamlets of Belmont, Elm Grove and The Ryleys were transferred to the civil parish of Alderley Edge.
- It includes the hamlets of Lindow, Lindow End and Row-of-Trees
- The population was 391 in 1801, 803 in 1851, 305 in 1901, 396 in 1951, and 399 in 2001.
- Macclesfield (1837-1937)
- Macclesfield (1937-74)
- Macclesfield (1974-98)
- Cheshire East (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Chorley (near Wilmslow) to another place.
- 1894 — Lost the part in Chorley Urban Sanitary District to Alderley Edge (pop. 2214 in 1901)
- 1895 September 30 — Lost part to Alderley Edge (pop. 9 in 1901)
- 1936 April 1 — Lost parts to Alderley Edge (2 acres, pop. 25 in 1931) and Wilmslow (3 acres, pop. 0 in 1931)
- 1981 April 4 — Lost part to Nether Alderley, and part to the unparished area of Wilmslow
You can see the administrative areas in which Chorley (near Wilmslow) has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ827792 (Lat/Lon: 53.309134, -2.26121), Chorley (near Wilmslow) which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Macclesfield Rural Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94)
- Chorley Urban Sanitary District (partly, 1875-94) *
- Macclesfield Rural District (1894-1974)
- Macclesfield (1974-2009)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
* The part in Chorley Urban Sanitary District became the civil parish of Alderley Edge in 1894.