"CHRISTLETON, a parish in the lower division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Christleton, Cotton-Abbots, Cotton-Edmund's, Littleton, and Rowton, and containing 954 inhabitants, of which number, 701 are in the township of Christleton, 2¼ miles (E. by S.) from Chester. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £39. 5., and in the patronage of Sir Thomas Mostyn, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. James, existed prior to the Conquest: the body has been wholly rebuilt of brick, but the stone tower bears the date 1530. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. This place formed, at the time of the Norman survey, a part of the barony of Malpas, at which period it is said to have been very populous; it continued of some importance, and was fortified for the parliament, having been made the headquarters of Sir William Brereton; but on the siege of Chester being raised, in February 1645, it was, in a sally of the citizens, very nearly destroyed by fire. The Chester and Ellesmere canal passes close to the village. In 1779, John Sellers, of Littleton, left a small bequest for teaching poor children; and a school-house was built in 1800, principally by a bequest from John Hignett, Esq." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Christleton, also a township in Christleton ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4466), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Birch Heath, Brown Heath (part), Little Heath, Rowton Bridge and Stamford Heath.
- The population was 651 in 1801, 719 in 1851, 859 in 1901, 1311 in 1951, and 2112 in 2001.
- Great Boughton (1837-69)
- Chester (1870-1937)
- West Cheshire (1937-74)
- Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
- Cheshire West (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
- Broxton (1828-71)
- Chester Castle (1871-1974)
- Chester (1974-2001)
- Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
- West Cheshire (2012+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Christleton to another place.
Places associated with Christelton ancient parish with separate pages
- 1888 March 24 — Lost a detached part to Waverton (4 acres, pop. 7 in 1891, including a farm house at Egg Bridge)
- 1963 April 1 — Gained parts of Barrow (1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961), Cotton Edmunds (under 1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961) and Tarvin (under 1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961), and lost parts to Barrow (1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961) and Tarvin (under 1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961)
- 2015 April 1 — Lost two parts to Littleton, and gained part of Great Boughton and the whole of Cotton Edmunds..
You can see the administrative areas in which Christleton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ455655 (Lat/Lon: 53.18366, -2.816534), Christleton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Chester Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Chester Rural District (1894-1974)
- Chester (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)