"LAWTON (CHURCH), a parish in the hundred of NORTHWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 6 miles (S. E.) from Sandbach, containing 512 inhabitants. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £9 2. 7., and in the patronage of --- Lawton, Esq. The church, dedicated to All Saints, has a Norman south door. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Here is a small fund for the instruction of poor children. The Trent and Mersey canal is joined here by the Macclesfield canal, and passes through the parish; upon its banks are coal wharfs, a small quantity of coal being raised in the parish; the Old Lawton salt works are on the border of this parish and Asbury." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Church Lawton, a township and ancient parish in Northwich hundred (SJ 8155), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Hall Green (part), Lawton, Lawton Gate, Lawton Heath, Lawton Springs, Little Moss (part), Moss Pit, and Red Bull.
- The population was 445 in 1801, 693 in 1851, 850 in 1901, 971 in 1951, and 2201 in 2001.
- Congleton (1837-1937)
- Crewe (1937-74)
- Congleton & Crewe (1974-88)
- South Cheshire (1988-98)
- Cheshire East (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
- Northwich (1828-99)
- Middlewich & Sandbach (1899-1907)
- Sandbach (1907-67)
- South East Cheshire (1967-74)
- Congleton (1974-92)
- South Cheshire (1992+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Church Lawton to another place.
"CHURCH LAWTON, a parish in the hundred of Northwich, in the county of Chester, 4 miles S.E. of Sandbach, and 6 S.W. of Congleton. The Grand Trunk or Trent and Mersey canal passes through the parish, and the North Staffordshire railway has a station at Kidsgrove. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Chester, value £360, in the patronage of C. B. Lawton, Esq. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a plain edifice, with embattled tower and highly ornamented Norman doorway. It contains monuments to the Lawton family. There are schools for boys, girls, and infants. At Lawton Heath the Methodists have a place of worship. There is a brine spring from which salt is made, and in the neighbourhood are stone-quarries and collieries. The lord of the manor is C. B. Lawton, Esq., of Lawton Hall, a fine brick edifice, situated in a beautiful spot."
- 1965 April 1 — Gained part of Kidsgrove, Staffordshire (under 1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1961), and lost part to Kidsgrove, Staffordshire (29 hectares, pop. 136 in 1961)
1991 April 1 — Gained part of Kidsgrove, Staffordshire (1 hectare, pop. 0 in 1991) and lost part to Kidsgrove, Staffordshire (3 hectares, pop. 12 in 1991)
You can see the administrative areas in which Church Lawton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ820559 (Lat/Lon: 53.099819, -2.270307), Church Lawton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Congleton Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Congleton Rural District (1894-1974)
- Congleton (1974-2009)
- Cheshire East (2009+)