"MINSHULL (CHURCH), a parish in the hundred of NANTWICH, county palatine of CHESTER, 5½ miles (N. by E.) from Nantwich, containing 528 inhabitants. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of J. Brooke, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Bartholomew. There is a place of worship for Independents. A school, erected by subscription in 1785, is endowed with about £15 per annum." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Church Minshull, a township and ancient parish in Eddisbury hundred (SJ 6560), became a civil parish in 1866.
- It includes the hamlets of Ashbrook (part), Lea Green, Paradise Green, Wades Green.
- The population was 417 in 1801, 380 in 1851, 318 in 1901, 247 in 1951, and 431 in 2001.
- Nantwich (1837-1937)
- Crewe (1937-74)
- Congleton & Crewe (1974-88)
- South Cheshire (1988-98)
- Cheshire Central (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Church Minshull to another place.
"CHURCH MINSHULL, a parish and township in the hundred of Nantwich, in the county of Chester, 6 miles N. of Nantwich, and 11 mile from the Minshull Vernon station on the Grand Junction branch of the London and Northwestern railway. It is situated on the banks of the river Weaver, which is crossed by a bridge of five arches, and near the canal belonging to the Shropshire Union Railway and Canal Company, which crosses the borders of the parish. The living is a perpetual curacy* in the diocese of Chester, value £108, in the patronage of H. Brooke, Esq. The church, dedicated to St. Bartholomew, is a brick edifice, with tower and monuments to the Delameres and Cholmondeleys. The parish registers commence as early as 1561, and under date 1649, February 20, is entered " Thomas Damme, of Leighton, buried, being of the age of seven score and fourteen." Here is a school for both sexes endowed with about £15 per annum, being the interest of moneys left by the Rev. Christopher Minshull in 1614, and others since that period. In this parish are the halls of Lea Green and Minshull, now occupied as farmhouses, the former anciently having belonged to the Vernons, and afterwards to the Crewe family. The parish is so called to distinguish it from Minshull Vernon, which adjoins it. In former times Church Minshull formed part of the parish of Acton, and belonged to the barony of Wich Milbank, but on the division of that lordship it fell to the lot of Philip Basset, and afterwards passed to the Levels. The mesne manor for many centuries belonged to the family of Minshull, from whom Elizabeth Minshull, the third wife of Milton, was descended; it then passed by marriage to the Cholmondeleys, and was by them sold to Sir Richard Brooke, Bart., the ancestor of Henry Brooke, Esq., the present lord of the manor."
- 1990 April 1 — Gained part of Minshull Vernon
You can see the administrative areas in which Church Minshull has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ657606 (Lat/Lon: 53.141823, -2.513509), Church Minshull which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Nantwich Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Nantwich Rural District (1894-74)
- Crewe & Nantwich (1974-2009)
- Cheshire East (2009+)