Hide

Church Shocklach

hide
Hide

"SHOCKLACH, a parish in the higher division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Caldecott, Church-Shocklach, and Oviatt-Shocklach, and containing 422 inhabitants, of which number, 158 are in the township of Church-Shocklach, 4½ miles (N. W. by W.), and 180 in that of Oviatt-Shocklach, 3½ miles (W.N.W.), from Malpas. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and iri the patronage of Sir R. Puleston, Bart. The church, dedicated to St. Edith, is a small ancient building, with an enriched Norman door. The parish is bounded on the west b'y the river Dee, which is crossed by a bridge at Castle-Town, where is the moated site of Shocklach." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England  (1831) ©Mel Lockie]

Hide
  • Church Shocklach, also a township in Shocklach ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4349), became a civil parish in 1866.
  • It includes the hamlets of Castletown (part), Green Croft, Lane End (part), Lordsfields, Port Green, The Saughans and Shocklach.
  • The population was 146 in 1801, 175 in 1851, 147 in 1901, 127 in 1951, and 113 in 2001.
  • In 2015 the civil parish was abolished and incorporated into Shocklach & District.
Hide
topup

Civil Registration

  • Wrexham (1837-96)
  • Chester (1897-1937)
  • West Cheshire (1937-74)
  • Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
  • Cheshire West (1998-2007)
  • Cheshire (2007-09)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
topup

Court Records

  • Broxton (1828-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2001)
  • Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
  • West Cheshire (2012-15)
topup

Historical Geography

Places associated with Shocklach ancient parish with separate pages

 

topup

Politics & Government

  • Wrexham Rural Sanitary District (1837-94)
  • Wrexham Rural District (1894-95)
  • Tarvin Rural District (1895-1974)
  • Chester (1974-2009)
  • Cheshire West & Chester (2009-15)
topup

Poor Houses, Poor Law

  • Wrexham (1837-96)
  • Tarvin (1897-1930)
topup

Voting Registers

  • South Cheshire (1832-67)
  • West Cheshire (1868-85)
  • Eddisbury (1885-1948)
  • Northwich (1949-54)
  • Nantwich (1955-74)