Claughton with Grange
"CLAUGHTON, a township, joint with Grange, in the parish of BIDSTONE, lower division of the hundred of WIRRALL, county palatine of CHESTER, 9½ miles (N. by E.) from Great Neston, containing, with Grange, 119 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
"GRANGE, a township, joint with Claughton, in the parish of BIDSTONE, lower division of the hundred of WIRRALL, county palatine of CHESTER, 9 miles (N. by E.) from Great Neston, containing 119 inhabitants." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Claughton with Grange (or Claughton cum Grange) was a township in the ancient parishes of Bidston and Woodchurch, Wirral hundred (SJ 3089), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- The civil parish was abolished in 1898 to become part of Birkenhead.
- It included the hamlets of Birkenhead Park and Flaybrick.
- The population was 67 in 1801 and 714 in 1851.
For the period after 1898, see Birkenhead.
|Christ Church, Claughton, Church of England|
|St Bede, Claughton, Church of England|
|St Mark, Claughton, Church of England|
|St Michael & All Angels, Claughton, Church of England|
|St Winifred, Claughton, Church in Wales|
|Hamilton Memorial Church, Upton Road, Claughton, Presbyterian|
|Park Road South/Slater Street, Claughton, Society of Friends (Quaker)|
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Claughton with Grange to another place.
- 1898 March 31 — Abolished and incorporated into Birkenhead (pop. 3920 in 1901)
You can see the administrative areas in which Claughton with Grange has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ304888 (Lat/Lon: 53.391429, -3.048038), Claughton with Grange which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Wirral Rural Sanitary District (1875-77)
- Birkenhead Urban Sanitary District (1877-1894)
- Birkenhead Municipal Borough (1877-89)
- Birkenhead County Borough (1889-98)