An ancient parish church, originally serving the townships of Acton Grange, Aston by Sutton, Aston Grange, Clifton, Daresbury, Halton, Hatton, Higher Walton, Keckwick, Lower Walton, Moore, Newton by Daresbury, Norton, Preston on the Hill, Runcorn, Stockham, Sutton, Thelwall and Weston, and part of the township of Dutton.
The district was affected by the following boundary changes:
- 1838 — reduced when the township of Lower Walton was transferred to Stockton Heath: St. Thomas.
- 1840 — reduced when part of the township of Runcorn was transferred to Runcorn: Holy Trinity.
- 1860 July 3 — reduced when the townships of Clifton, Norton and Stockham, and the remaining part of the township of Halton, were transferred to Halton: St. Mary the Virgin.
- 1861 May 3 — reduced when the townships of Aston Grange, Aston by Sutton and Sutton, and the constituent part of the township of Dutton, were transferred to Aston by Sutton: St. Peter.
- 1870 February 8 — reduced when the remaining parts of the township of Thelwall were transferred to Thelwall: All Saints.
- 1879 December 5 — reduced when the township of Higher Walton, and parts of the townships of Acton Grange and Moore were transferred to the new district of Walton: St. John the Evangelist.
- 1880 February 27 — reduced when the townships of Acton Grange, Daresbury, Hatton, Higher Walton, Keckwick, Lower Walton, Moore, Newton by Daresbury and Preston on the Hill were transferred to Daresbury: All Saints.
- 1930 May 16 — reduceed when the civil parish of Weston and part of the civil parish of Runcorn were transferred to Weston by Runcorn: St. John the Evangelist.
- 1931 May 29 — reduced when part of the civil parish of Runcorn was transferred to Runcorn: St. Michael & All Angels.
- 1960 May 20 — reduced when a detached part of the district was transferred to Halton: St. Mary the Virgin.
The district also included the chapel of Weston Point: Christ Church.
C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts
|Original Registers||CMB 1558-1647 [too fragile to produce] ; C 1660-1984 ; M 1660-1963 ; B 1660-1936 — Cheshire Record Office (P 95)|
C from 1984 ; M from 1963 — Church
|Microfilm Copies||C 1660-1925 ; M 1660-1963 ; B 1669-1936 — Cheshire Record Office|
C 1660-1907 ; M 1660-1903 ; B 1660-1936 — Halton Lea Library
C 1660-1883 ; M 1660-1890 ; B 1660-1872 — Family History Society of Cheshire ; Manchester Archives & Local Studies
|Bishop's Transcripts||1581, 1584, 1600, 1607-08, 1610-12, 1614-18, 1621-25, 1627-30, 1633-41, 1659-60, 1663, 1665-66, 1668-76, 1678-85, 1687-1739, 1741-1853, 1854 (microfilmed) — Cheshire Record Office|
|Copies and Indexes||CMB 1558-1812 (transcript/index by E Jermyn, 5 vols.) — Cheshire Record Office, Halton Lea Library|
M 1560-1837 (incomplete) — Bertram Merrell Marriage Index of Cheshire (1750-1836)
M 1800-1837 — North & East Cheshire Marriage Index - may be viewable at subscription sites such as ancestry or findmypast
M 1837-1950 — Cheshire BMD (HA:C12)
|Monumental Inscriptions||Transcript/index, 1963 — Cheshire Record Office|
|Notes||CMB 1558-1647 — damaged ; illegible and unfit for production/microfilming|
CMB 1648-1659 — omitted from registers