"CODDINGTON, a parish in the higher division of the hundred of BROXTON, county palatine of CHESTER, comprising the townships of Aldersey, Chowley, and Coddington, and containing 346 inhabitants, of which number, 130 are in the township of Coddington, 6 miles (N. N. W.) from Malpas. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Chester, rated in the king's books at £5. 4. 2., endowed with £200 private benefaction, and £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient structure, with a wooden belfry, supposed to have been founded in the eleventh century; it was granted with the living to Chester abbey, by Fitz-Hugh, and was one of the few possessions remaining to the abbey that were confirmed to the Dean and Chapter by Queen Elizabeth. Coddington is thought to have been a habitation of the Britons, which seems probable from the artificial embankments and tumuli discernible in the vicinity." [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Coddington, also a township in Coddington ancient parish, Broxton hundred (SJ 4456), became a civil parish in 1866.
- The population was 110 in 1801, 95 in 1851, 103 in 1901, 115 in 1951, and 78 in 2001.
- Great Boughton (1837-69)
- Chester (1870-1937)
- West Cheshire (1937-74)
- Chester & Ellesmere Port (1974-98)
- Cheshire West (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)
- Broxton (1828-1974)
- Chester (1974-2001)
- Chester, Ellesmere Port & Neston (2001-12)
- West Cheshire (2012+)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Coddington to another place.
"CODDINGTON, a parish in the higher division of the hundred of Broxton, in the county of Chester, 5½ miles S. of the Tattenhall railway station on the North-Western line, and 10 S. of Chester, its post town. It comprises the townships of Aldersey, Chowley, and Coddington. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Chester, value £262, in the patronage of the dean and chapter. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an edifice of red sandstone, built in 1633. Here is a Sunday school. The charities produce about £2 10s. per annum. Richard Massie, Esq., is lord of the manor. This was once a market town, and the ancient seat of the Botelers, Coddingtons, and Massies. There is a tumulus of sandstone near the church, 85 yards in circumference."
"ALDERSEY, a township in the parish of Coddington, in the hundred of Broxton, in the county palatine of Chester, 9 miles to the S.E. of Chester. It is watered by a branch of the river Dee. In the 16th century some salt-works were in operation here. Aldersey Hall is the seat of S. Aldersey, Esq., to whom the township belongs."
"CHOWLEY, a township in the parish of Coddington, in the higher division of the hundred of Broxton, in the county of Chester, 1½ mile from Coddington church."
You can see the administrative areas in which Coddington has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ464564 (Lat/Lon: 53.101674, -2.802243), Coddington which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Tarvin Rural Sanitary District (1875-94)
- Tarvin Rural District (1894-1974)
- Chester (1974-2009)
- Cheshire West & Chester (2009+)