"CONGLETON, a chapelry and market-town (incorporated), in the parish of ASTBURY, having separate jurisdiction, locally in the hundred of Northwich, county palatine of CHESTER, 31 miles (E. by S.) from Chester, and 161 (N. W. by W.) from London, containing 6405 inhabitants. ... More" [From Samuel Lewis A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831) ©Mel Lockie]
- Congleton was a township and market town in Astbury ancient parish, Northwich hundred (SJ 8663), which became a civil parish in 1866.
- Between 1 April 1974 and 1 November 1980 it was an unparished area
- It includes the hamlets of Bankyfields, Bath Vale, Birch Moss, Buglawton, Cloud Side, Congleton Edge (part), Eaton Bank, Fol Hollow, Hardings Bank, Havannah (from 1936), Hightown, Loachbrook (part), Lower Heath, The Marsh, Mossley, Primrose Vale, Pudd's Bank, Salford, Under Rainow and West Heath.
- The population was 3861 in 1801, 10520 in 1851, 10707 in 1901, 15502 in 1951, and 25750 in 2001.
|Holy Trinity, Congleton, Church of England|
|Holy Trinity, Mossley, Church of England|
|St James the Great, Congleton, Church of England|
|St Peter, Congleton, Church of England|
|St Stephen, Congleton, Church of England|
|Antrobus Street, Congleton, Congregationalist|
|Howey Lane, Congleton, Cemetery|
|Cross Street, Congleton, Unitarian|
|St Mary, Congleton, Roman Catholic|
|Congleton, Society of Friends (Quaker)|
- Congleton (1837-1937)
- Macclesfield (1937-74)
- Congleton & Crewe (1974-88)
- South Cheshire (1988-98)
- Cheshire East (1998-2007)
- Cheshire (2007-09)
- Cheshire East (2009+)
- Northwich (1828-36)
- Congleton (Borough) (1836-1967)
- South East Cheshire (1967-74)
- Congleton (1974-92)
- South Cheshire (1992+)
Transcription for Congleton from Samuel Lewis - A Topographical Dictionary of England (1831)
- Ask for a calculation of the distance from Congleton to another place.
- 1936 April 1 — Gained parts of Bosley (1 acre, pop. 0 in 1931), Buglawton (2865 acres, pop. 1617 in 1931), Eaton (near Congleton) (79 acres, pop. 120 in 1931), Hulme Walfield (41 acres, pop. 19 in 1931), Newbold Astbury (18 acres, pop. 25 in 1931) and North Rode (11 acres, pop. 0 in 1931), and lost part to Eaton (near Congleton) (less than 1 acre, pop. 0 in 1931)
You can see the administrative areas in which Congleton has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SJ860630 (Lat/Lon: 53.163934, -2.210855), Congleton which are provided by:
- Google Maps
- StreetMap (Current Ordnance Survey maps)
- Bing (was Multimap)
- OldMaps (Old Ordnance Survey maps.)
- Old Maps Online (Other old maps.)
- National Library of Scotland (Old Ordnance Survey maps)
- Vision of Britain (Click "Historical units & statistics" for administrative areas.)
- English Jurisdictions in 1851 (Unfortunately the LDS have removed the facility to enable us to specify a starting location, you will need to search yourself on their map.)
- Magic (Geographic information) (Click + on map if it doesn't show)
- GeoHack (Links to on-line maps and location specific services.)
- Congleton Municipal Borough (1835-1974)
- Congleton Urban Sanitary District (1875-94).