Hide

St James the Great, Congleton, Church of England

hide
Hide
image
Hide

St James the Great,
West Street/Astbury Street,
Congleton

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

The church does not have a graveyard.

topup

Church History

It was founded in 1847.

West Street. 

Church History

Built in 1844 as the district church for part of the township of Congleton (previously served by Congleton: St. Peter and Astbury: St. Mary). The boundaries of "The District of Saint James, Congleton" were described in the London Gazette of 10 July 1844: 

"All that part of the chapelry of Saint Peter, Congleton, in the parish of Astbury, in the county and diocese of Chester, situate on the western side of an imaginary line extending eastward, along the river Dane as far as the bridge, over such river, at the northern end of Mill-street, and thence southward, along the middle of such street, and the street called Swan-bank, Wagg-street, Wagg-lane, and Stony-lane, as far as the boundary of the township of Newbold Astbury, in the same county." 

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts 

Original Registers C 1844-1957 ; M 1849-1980 — Cheshire Archives (P 210)
C from 1957 ; M from 1980 — Church
Microfilm Copies C 1844-1957 ; M 1849-1947 — Cheshire Archives
C 1844-1901 ; M 1849-1908 — Family History Society of Cheshire ; Congleton Library
Bishop's Transcripts 1886-1894 (microfilmed) ; 1904-1919 — Cheshire Archives
Copies and Indexes M 1849-2000 — Cheshire BMD (CE:1026)
Notes B — none
topup

Maps

It is located at SJ8536563040 (Lat/Lon 53.16428, -2.220352). You can see this on maps provided by:

Hide
hide