Hide

St Stephen, Congleton, Church of England

hide
Hide
image
Hide

St Stephen,
Brook Street,
Congleton

Hide
topup

Cemeteries

The church has/had a graveyard.

topup

Church History

It was founded in 1858.

Brook Street. 

Church History

Built in 1845 as the district church for part of the township of Congleton (previously served by Congleton: St. Peter and Astbury: St. Mary). The boundaries of "The District of Saint Stephen's, Congleton" were described in the London Gazette on 1 August 1845: 

"All that part of the township of Congleton, in the parish of Astbury, and in the county and diocese of Chester, situate on the north eastern side of an imaginary line commencing at a point (marked a on the map or plan herewith) on the southern bank of the river Dane, opposite to the middle of Kinsey-street, and thence extending southward along the middle of such street to a point (marked b as aforesaid) opposite to the middle of Lawton-street, and thence eastward along the middle of such last-mentioned street to a point (marked c as aforesaid) opposite to the middle of the street or lane called Colehill-bank, and thence southward along the middle of such street or lane as far as the middle of Canal-street, and thence towards the south east along the middle of such last-mentioned street as far as the middle of the Macclesfield Canal, and on the north western side of an imaginary line extending along the middle of such canal." 

Church Records

C = Christenings (Baptisms) ; M = Marriages ; B = Burials ; BTs = Bishop's Transcripts 

Original Registers C 1844-1962 ; M 1860-1982 ; B 1860-1968 — Cheshire Archives (P 232)
C from 1962 ; M from 1982 ; B from 1969 — Church
Microfilm Copies C 1844-1860, 1896-1936 ; M 1850-1958 ; B 1860-1932 — Cheshire Archives ; Congleton Library
Copies and Indexes M 1860-2008 — Cheshire BMD (CE:1028)
topup

Maps

It is located at SJ8637863207 (Lat/Lon 53.165808, -2.205207). You can see this on maps provided by:

Hide
hide